When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on some serious wheel cleaning.....

-
Doesnt anyone own a media blaster anymore? Outdoor media blasters are Harbor Freight cheap, TIP cabinet blasters for your inside work... but the member whose into large wheels is spot on... dont be afraid to throw some inside spark!

outdoor media blasters make a big mess.

I have the Harbor Freight cabinet and have replaced everything BUT the cabinet .... had to go take a look, yes a rusty 26" rim will fit inside though it would be tight to get the insides. the part we see would be easy squeezy. cabinet needs a tune up to work right now.

TP is where I got all my gun and nozzles what-not from. good company.

outdoor media blasters make a big mess.

I have the Harbor Freight cabinet and have replaced everything BUT the cabinet .... had to go take a look, yes a rusty 26" rim will fit inside though it would be tight to get the insides. the part we see would be easy squeezy. cabinet needs a tune up to work right now.

TP is where I got all my gun and nozzles what-not from. good company.
I built a 2 man/4 arm/2 window/double end loader @ 6ft long (using marine plywood) 28 years ago using TP plans and parts... its served me well all these years and will continue to do so for another. From running boards to bike frames size is never an issue.
Low(er) pressures are your friend, people over blast... a few quaility wire wheels to include brass and your all set.

If you want to do sections at a time 3-4" pvc cut in half length wise & 2 end caps could make you 1 and would fit even the largest of wheels 🤔

Be Responsible & don't do it where animals can possibly drink the chemicals

What I've used to good effect where the tire sides of rims were rusty is Rust-Oleum Rusty Metal Primer in a (non-spray) can. Hit the rims with a wire brush as noted above, dust, wipe with alcohol or mineral spirits, and apply primer with a small brush.
Have fun!

Back