When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket LED Headlights

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Knez68cougar

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Now that the days are getting shorter, I'm looking for a recommendation on an LED headlight and taillight for my daily rider. I see that they come in rechargeable varieties. I have seen strobe type lights too. I presume that these conserve battery life. I would appreciate anyone's recommendation or experience in choosing one. Specific brands or models are appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_2418.JPG

Seems that you might not be asking about the individual LED bulbs or lamps, but the entire fixture.
A while back, the local 99 cents or dollar stores had some simple light fixtures at a great price (compared to ~$8 online).
They might have had 3 to 5 LEDs and used two AA batteries.

For headlights, I also like the simple 9-LED aluminum flashlights, with three AAA batteries, and attached to the handle bars with cushioned loop clamps. [Need to be careful with those, that they don’t point into the drivers’ eyes].

For safety (versus price), I believe that there was a “Flare” rear taillight model with a bunch more LEDs, that some claimed to be more visible in broad daylight.

I purchased one of those more expensive rechargeable headlights with strobe mode, (came in black or Bianchi turquoise), and it was so bright, (and sometimes hot), that I moved it from my bike to my toolbox.

For the orange bike pictured above, one might consider how the lights would be mounted yet visible to traffic. Perhaps adding a Pletscher rear rack would make room for the tail lights and storage stuff?

Last edited:
These are awesome little sets, sold by Aldi once a year in their bike accessory sales, usually late spring. Typically around $5.00 a set, I buy 2 or 3 when they have them. You can find them on ebay, and amazon as well, from entrepreneurs who clean out Aldi's and resell them for a profit.

1663439259779.png

not my ads here, although in my opinion, well worth the additional price. I have them on a few of my bikes.

I've got a set of these.

Some are pretty pricey but easy to attach, pretty lightweight and rechargeable. For comparison ALDI lights above are 14 limes. Some of these lights are 2,000 lumens. They really light up the road or trail. I guess it depends what/where you're riding. I'm in a big city with a mix of paved/unpaved trails and terrible city streets so I really want to see what's ahead and BE seen if I'm riding at night.

I'm sure there are plenty of options on amazon that are cheaper but offer comparable performance

I use a Kiley bullet LED headlight and either a Soma LED torpedo rear or Alumalites USB LED rear.

In the past I have also converted old Generator type headlights to led. That also works but involves more effort than just buying a Kiley or Soma light.

I use a Kiley bullet LED headlight and either a Soma LED torpedo rear or Alumalites USB LED rear.

In the past I have also converted old Generator type headlights to led. That also works but involves more effort than just buying a Kiley or Soma light.

The Alumalites rear light mounted to an English bracket. There is a white one for the front available as well. They charge with a USB cord. It has both solid and blinking/hazard modes.

20220805_180721.jpg

Kiley headlights on a pair of Schwinn bikes:

MZ3VEunG5y_BXA3hPdX2zBbyQkCbsd9i6M7PadmmW_PJ=s2791.jpg

The Kiley takes AAA batteries. It has high beam, low beam, and blinking hazard mode.

This is a 1950s-60s Miller lamp converted to LED. The reflector bowl is cut and the guts of a Cree type LED lamp is epoxied into the bowl. The LED is then wired to a toggle switch that sticks out of the light shell where the terminal used to be. It has high beam, mid beam, low beam, and hazard flasher. It takes a rechargeable battery pack, which fits on the lamp bracket shelf.

20140620_195711.jpg

Here is a Soma torpedo type tail light. It takes AAA batteries. It has solid and hazard flasher modes.

B8ef2Xtkt16aYUIdQbTsh5XCa4Dq_-oeJI8JyG7V5hOY=s4032.jpg

Even these kind of basic LEDs are a huge improvement over the vintage type lights. These models all look pretty good and "retro", but they give you a lot of light and several modes/beams to choose from. On darker evenings I tend to use them set to solid beams, and on evenings that are lighter but where I still want to stand out, I use them set to hazard flashers.

Last edited:
With the variety of available types, the choice is mind boggling. Thanks to all who volunteered their personal experience. I ride on the pavement, and prioritize being seen slightly more than the other way around. I have had some experience with the small LED flashlights that take three AAA batteries. Based on the rate of discharge and disposal issues, I’ll likely start off with a lower end usb rechargeable, but am still looking through the options. Thanks again

Back