When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air operated speedometer??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Exact year, I wouldn't know, but I agree with your assessment as the clear plastic, plus the rocket graphics on the packaging, and the font all point to that era.

????? If you were just standing beside your bike facing into a 15 mph headwind, wouldn't your speedometer register 15 mph? Then if you get on and ride at 15 mph, wouldnt your speedometer read 30 mph? I think ill stick to a spoke driven one.

????? If you were just standing beside your bike facing into a 15 mph headwind, wouldn't your speedometer register 15 mph? Then if you get on and ride at 15 mph, wouldnt your speedometer read 30 mph? I think ill stick to a spoke driven one.
I'll let you know LOL. I'll use my phone app if I want to really know all the details of my ride.

Here's a ad from 1951 I think
IMG_6726.JPG

Just reading the directions it seems to be totally inaccurate, as far as your speed goes. I would think even a kid would say "what a POS, I ain't messing with adusting it, adjust it to what?". How do I know of it's too low or too high? Then takes it off the bike and pitches it in the trash just like many did with the worthless lights that came on some bikes. :p

1584925654695.png

Wow sure am glad to have The Cabe to turn too ,whilst cooped up in our house.Here are two different styles we haveMy wife told me we picked up the boxed Air Speedometer while we were on the worlds longest yardsale many years ago,,and I think it was in Tenn., and the second ,we picked up at the Alameda Antique a few years backThe box one was a Company outta Chicago Sinko MFG.& Tool Co.,and the second,is a Air O Speed, with a compass ,from American Marketing,,outta Denver Colo.,,no dates on the Box,,,and Marty you mean too tell me you dont have one of these????View attachment 1160089
View attachment 1160092

View attachment 1160099

View attachment 1160103

View attachment 1160104

View attachment 1160105

View attachment 1160106

View attachment 1160108
Thanks for posting a pic of the box Rudy! I'll adjust mine using my speedo app, at MPH x 1.5 so 2 on my speedo will be 3mph, 4 will be 6mph, 8 will be 12mph etc..

Yes, it's measuring airspeed (however accurate this thing is) or apparent wind speed, which is the ground speed of the bike +/- the true wind speed as determined by the angle of the true wind in relation to the direction of the vehicle's travel. It's not very useful information for a land vehicle that's fixed to the surface, but as the stylized jets on the box allude, it's for the kid's imagination (really, a ground speed number isn't terribly useful for a bicycle, either, beyond satisfying curiosity).

Back