When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Airflow at local NC Auction

-

Steve K

Finally riding a big boys bike
Went to an auction today to possibly bid on a Shelby Airflow. (Don't see too many of these come up for sale as we all know)
Auctioneer started the auction asking for $10,000 for the bicycle but gradually came down to $2000 and stated that he had an online bidder at that amount.
Bidding was strong and the price for the bike quickly went up to $3300. Add a 20% buyers premium for an out of state phone bidder...(10% for those of us in the audience), plus 6.75% NC sales tax put the bike over the $4000 mark for the hammer price.
Not sure where its heading but perhaps to a new owner here on TheCABE.:D
Unfortunately the bike had been poorly repainted at some time which was not totally clear from the posted pics from the auction house. I got a chuckle out of the goofy contraption made from 1/2 inch galvanized pipe that was wrapped around the seat and extended beyond the back fender. Thinking it might have been used as a bracket to hang the bicycle from a rafter in the barn/garage where it was allegedly found.
However the bicycle still had some great original parts on it. It had what looked to be nicely preserved horizontal spring Lobdell seat...which had a vintage cover over it. (appeared to be in great shape).
Tank appeared to be solid. Missing lens and the bezel did have a little damage. Nice rack, pedals, chain-guard and fenders. Handle bars not the streamlined design...also missing rear fender light and drop-stand.
Enjoy the pics of a very rare bicycle that is going to one lucky owner. Hopefully the repaint:( can be removed to expose the original coating.)
Thanks
Steve K
Greensboro, NC

Attachments

• IMG_5372.JPG
    IMG_5372.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_5373.JPG
    IMG_5373.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_5363.JPG
    IMG_5363.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_5367.JPG
    IMG_5367.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_5365.JPG
    IMG_5365.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_5371.JPG
    IMG_5371.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_5369.JPG
    IMG_5369.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_5368.JPG
    IMG_5368.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 326
Still seems like a pretty good buy in my book. Being the lower level Speedline it may not have had the Airflo bars to begin with although I'm sure if its restored they will be added. Thanks for posting. V/r Shawn

Still seems like a pretty good buy in my book. Being the lower level Speedline it may not have had the Airflo bars to begin with although I'm sure if its restored they will be added. Thanks for posting. V/r Shawn
I was thinking the same thing, it needs those crazy bars!

Thanks for the story Steve, and no it wasn't me...I've got mine.
I don't think 4K is a crazy price especially if the buyer has restoration skills, the long nosed speedlines hardly ever come up in any condition.
Keeping in mind this wasn't even a high visibility ebay hammer price.
Not sure this had the rear light judging by the smooth rack and no gull wing bars.
Glad it is going to have an extreme makeover most likely and back to glory.
Chris

Anyone know what that crash rail looking thing is on the back of the bike?! The extra rail fr the seat to the dropstand.
image.jpg

Back