When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All In The Family

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

COB

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Last night I took a different route home than I normally would take. As luck would have it, I happened to drive past a residence where an older gentleman was starting to set out items for a Labor Day weekend yard sale. I saw some bicycles that he had sat out and decided to stop. Turned out that one of the bikes was a late 50's Schwinn Wasp that he had gotten new. He still had the Schwinn warranty tag that was filled out in his name and dated 8-1-59 with matching serial number to the bike. The bike did not have the correct seat on it and I ask if he would happen to have the original seat to the bike. He told me that it was probably around there somewhere and described it as being a red and white seat.
The other bike that caught my attention was a pre-war, Ace-badged Schwinn DX. Jerry told me that was his mother's bike that his grandfather had bought new for her. Jerry stated that she used the ride the bike to work the 6 miles to and from town. There was a homemade pad tied to the top bar with parachute cord. Jerry told me that was a pad where his mom used to ride him on the bike as a child. The bike had quite a bit of patina but when you slid back the pad, the paint underneath was well preserved.
Both bikes appeared to be completely original with the exception of the tires on both bikes and the seat on the Wasp. He also had a set of 26"x2.125" Schwinn Typhoon cords that I have to assume came off of the Wasp. After a few minutes of searching in a shed, Jerry produced the original red and white Schwinn "S" seat to the Wasp, which had a protective seat cover on it. (He said that the replacement seat was more comfortable.)
Jerry told me that the bikes held quite a bit of sentimental value to him but he had decided that it was time to start clearing out the old homestead since his parents had passed. He did not have the bikes priced as typical "yard sale" bikes but we were able to reach an agreement that I feel was fair to both of us.
I posted a couple of pictures of the DX last night in the "All Things Schwinn" forum asking for help in identifying the year of the bike. Several CABE members responded (many thanks) and the general consensus was that it was probably a 40-41 model. Here are a few pictures of the bikes. Enjoy!
DSCN2191 (2).JPG
DSCN2192 (2).JPG
DSCN2193 (2).JPG
DSCN2194 (2).JPG
DSCN2198.JPG
DSCN2186.JPG
DSCN2187 (2).JPG
DSCN2190 (2).JPG
DSCN2195 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Very nice family additions. Wow, I'm going to start wrapping up all my nice paint bikes like a mummy to preserve the paint for another 50 years. ;)

Reactions: COB
I just now saw this thread.
Your 59 Wasp looks fantastic!
I also had a Radiant Red 59 Wasp for awhile, and it was always one of my favorites to ride.
The ultimate paper boy bike if there ever was one.
Congrats on the great score and the priceless provenance that came with it.

Back