When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All original stingray - need advice

-

johnson cycle works

On Training Wheels
Hi all. I had a customer drop off an old stingray to me for service today. He is the original owner of the bike, and brought it to me for a tune up and new tubes/tires. The tires are original, but are very dry and cracked; I'm guessing they won't hold much pressure. My customer wants to fix the bike up so he can sell it, and I proposed we do a little research before I start cleaning, polishing and most importantly, replacing tires.

So, with the goal of resale, how much work should I do, or not do, on this bike? I typically clean with white lightning easy wash, which is very mild, but cleans and polishes well. Are brake inner cables ok to replace?

Any advice you all have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nice fastback! I used to be really into sting-rays, one thing I remember is alot of sting-ray collectors want the bike as original as possible. I would replace as little parts as possible, if any. Be very careful with cleaning that chain guard, the letters will wipe off very easily, a light cleaning is all I would do if I was selling it, you might want to post it here for sale, I'm sure someone would love to have it!

I don't see an issue with changing out the inner brake cables. There are NOS Schwinn cable kits still available. It looks like the shifter cable has already been changed out and it's not OEM.

Honestly, all I would do is a good cleaning. The cost of the parts you need will upset the value of the bike. I mean, the correct seat and tires would be like $400 or better. The value of the bike is like $600 as it sits. Either way, cool ride!

Thank you guys! I'll pass on this info to my customer and let him decide. I will keep you all posted on what he does.

He is interested in selling, so pm me if any interest in purchasing.

Thanks again!
Steve

The value of the bike is like $600 as it sits.
I disagree with this. I’ve been keeping my eyes out for a 5 speed stingray in the Minnesota/Wisconsin area. Fastbacks in better condition than this one have sold in the upper Midwest region for $500 - $600. More than that and they just sit for sale for months. If the seat were whole I could see $400 - $500. Again, we’re talking upper Midwest - NOT the coasts.

Hi all. I had a customer drop off an old stingray to me for service today. He is the original owner of the bike, and brought it to me for a tune up and new tubes/tires. The tires are original, but are very dry and cracked; I'm guessing they won't hold much pressure. My customer wants to fix the bike up so he can sell it, and I proposed we do a little research before I start cleaning, polishing and most importantly, replacing tires.

So, with the goal of resale, how much work should I do, or not do, on this bike? I typically clean with white lightning easy wash, which is very mild, but cleans and polishes well. Are brake inner cables ok to replace?

Any advice you all have would be appreciated. Thanks!
View attachment 1185217

View attachment 1185218

View attachment 1185219

View attachment 1185220

View attachment 1185221

IMO, it is always better to leave it in it's original state for the sale. Most collectors want to do their own restorations, and these are the guys that will be willing to pay top dollar for a bike they want for their collection! Do some research, and check the SOLD listings on Ebay, that is where you will find the highest prices paid for the bikes, because you have the larger customer base to work from.

I would sell as is , 73 sunset orange will probably sell fairly quick if priced appropriately. Seat would be harder to find nice than some . Good luck however you go

Last edited:
Back