When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Allwin sidewalk/fairy bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

slamiam

On Training Wheels
Hey all...new guy here. I picked this Allwin fairy bike, last year, but I cannot find anything on it. The Allwin Company made baby strollers, but that's all the info. I've come up with. When I first spotted it, I just walked by, thinking it was just some kind of decorator piece from someplace like Pier 1. As I walked back by, several things caught my eye. It has what appears to be a leather seat, solid tires, and a lever action front brake (or, did have). I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of age (I'm betting it's at least 100 years old), or history of these bikes.

alwin.jpg

alwin4.jpg

alwin2.jpg

alwin3.jpg

alwin6.jpg

alwin5].jpg

I assume your search lead you to the Cabe. Welcome aboard! 👍

I know next to nothing about about these sidewalk bikes, but the brake handle struck me as English origin. Lines Bros was a maker in England and this one is said to be one of theirs. Same chain ring as yours. Allwin may not be the actual manufacturers name, and possible have been built for Allwin. Just a guess though.

Here's the site I found this at. Different style frame obviously.

1670394187046.png

Last edited:
There was a British company based in Birmingham, England that produced toys, cycles and baby carriages, amongst other things, using the "Allwin" brand name.
They were called 'Richards, Son & Allwin' and judging from the advert below they started in around 1909.

Here is their advertisement featuring products to be shown at the British Industries Fair in 1929.....
360px-Im1929BIF-Allwin.jpg

...they were still being granted patents in 1970.

That brake would be very easy to get working with pretty much any type of 'rod-brake' caliper, a driveside caliper guide and a pair of suitable brake blocks.
Nice find, and welcome to The Cabe!
(Image from 'Graces Guide')

Last edited:
Back