When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Allwood Early Wood Frame Bike with Brass Compression Fittings, Hickory?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm not trying to imply that this is an Indian but I do find it interesting that an Indian saddle is on this bike. If you were going to put a Troxel saddle on it, it would just be stamped Troxel......
Attached is a page from the 1903 Indian catalog, it lists a Troxel, similar to the saddle on this bike.......
Todd

3.jpg

Some bikes like this were mail order through sears and other catalogs , 1 name was fitsall , the bike came , and you cut the hickory pieces to fit your size according to the directions supplied,.there was an english version and , I have seen an American example . IT IS Nice,, and 2 thumbs up for Bricycle , I thought the same thing looking at the argonaut on the lamp ?

It looks to me like it has brass fittings and Allwood claims to use alloy fittings -:> Hmmm.....

View attachment 657196
So, out of curiosity, I removed the seat post to see inside the fitting. The ends of the top tube and seat tube (wood) had markings that look like they were removed from a lathe. When I wiped the dust from inside the fitting, the sidewalls look like polished aluminum or possibly nickel. I thought it could possibly have rubbed off the seat post but the post has no such wear marks, also thought of scoring the inside to verify the material but I'm hoping someone here can confirm what looks like a white metal coated with brass? Interesting......

IMG_6224.JPG

IMG_6244.JPG

IMG_6243.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

IMG_6239.JPG

IMG_6234.JPG

IMG_6232.JPG

Back