When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alu Chainguard-what is it?

-

SKPC

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This aluminum guard was on a late teens bike. Featherweight! Is it aftermarket and what era?

Vintage aftermarket, note the extra holes around the front bracket. But I've seen steel versions on lower end Monarks, etc, like my J&R Flyer.

Thanks for that. How about an aluminum one though? I haven't seen one really. Probl'y won't sell it until I know whether it was original to the pre-30's bike it was on or not.

Good info @old hotrod. I have not seen one before. With the square nuts on it, I assume then as mentioned above from the 1930's? The question is that I have is.........could it possibly be earlier?

seems most bikes up to early 30s had straight leg cranks and no or few chainguards. my guess would be a mid to late 30s aftermarket. By the late 30s, the balloon bikes were either equipped with unique factory chainguards or a factory one was available.

Here's a few I found on here, not much info tho....

post #16 https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/sundays-show-and-tell-4-10-16.88947/page-2#post-560453

Back