When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Aluminized " rims ??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dogdart

I live for the CABE
I have a 1941 Huffman built Western Flyer that has what are called Aluminized rums . Kinda a semi metallic painted finish that resembles aluminum.
My question is, Did other companies use this technique?
I am picking up a balloon titebike today and briefly looked it over , and it has Elgin hubs , with what looks to be possibly the same finish

-----

Wald, for example, produced aluminized steel mudguards.

technique also found on some European produced fittings IIRC

@non-fixie

-----

Aluminum paint became popular in the early 20th century and was used for industrial and agricultural applications. It was also used on aircraft. A notable example is the Spirit of St. Louis, which was mostly covered with canvas painted with nitrate dope and aluminum powder.

-----

Wald, for example, produced aluminized steel mudguards.

technique also found on some European produced fittings IIRC

@non-fixie

-----

Funny you should ask. While I do not have a useful answer to the original question, only yesterday I was reading about "de-aluminized rims".

In 1934 Antonin Magne started in the Tour de France with a new invention from the French company Mavic: boxed aluminum rims. They weren't officially allowed, so they were disguised by painting them to look like wood ...

Magne would go on to win that race, and the rest is history.

Antonin at the start of the 1934 TdF time trial:

Magne-Anotnin-1934-TDF-21B-Time-trial.jpg

did Schwinn use that technique on 40's lightweights? I have 2 bikes with rims that are not really chrome yet not bare steel either.

wasn't that Duraluminum or something like that?

Sometimes I paint relatively-new anodized aluminum rimmed wheels using gray primer and aluminum-silver paint.

When I was younger, the economical spray paint from the paint store which we called “silver” was actually labeled as aluminum; it was said to be the same color as the plastic cap (i.e., silver).

I have seen old ads for bicycles describing the wood-lined steel (or steel-clad wood) rims, as having an “aluminum” finish.

Last edited:
did Schwinn use that technique on 40's lightweights? I have 2 bikes with rims that are not really chrome yet not bare steel either.

wasn't that Duraluminum or something like that?
-----

Duraluminum is the name of an aluminum alloy which is formulated to be stronger/stiffer than pure aluminum

it is usually referred to as "dural" for short

both are generic terms rather than trademarked ones

"dural" is most frequently employed to describe a component which is of aluminum alloy construction rather than steel

-----

Last edited:
Usually, rims that aren't chrome or nickel shiny were cad plated. Seen on a lot of Monark, Columbia, and lower end Schwinns postwar.

Funny you should ask. While I do not have a useful answer to the original question, only yesterday I was reading about "de-aluminized rims".

In 1934 Antonin Magne started in the Tour de France with a new invention from the French company Mavic: boxed aluminum rims. They weren't officially allowed, so they were disguised by painting them to look like wood ...

Magne would go on to win that race, and the rest is history.

Antonin at the start of the 1934 TdF time trial:

View attachment 1504674

So this guy was one of the Earlier Cheaters in Cycling in the tour de France......!

Last edited:
Back