When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alvin Drysdale Oscar Egg Derailleur

-

Dweber

Finally riding a big boys bike
Saw Shawn's thread on the Bianchi with the Cambio Corsa derailleur. Thought I would show one of my latest acquisitions. Early Alvin Drysdale with bolt on rear stays. Equipped with a Oscar Egg derailleur. Nice original bike. I believe the bike is from the late 1930"s? Trying to identify brakes? Any info. appreciated! Dave

Alvin Drysdale8.jpg

Alvin Drysdale9.jpg

Alvin Drysdale10.jpg

Alvin Drysdale5.jpg

I love Drysdales, I've had a few over the years. I've never seen one with bolted rear stays maybe early. very cool set up, don't know about the brakes but they are wild. there is a separate thread on Alvin Drysdale on the cabe

Hi Dave,
I was watching that auction on Ebay.
I think the seller's title and description was a little confusing to some buyers.
Your model is called an Alvin.
The catalog specs say your model should have Philco brakes, but those are not Philcos, that does not mean they are the wrong brakes, just that they do not match what the ad listed. I do not recognize the brakes on your bike.
I currently have 5 Drysedales.
There is an article about Drysedale here
https://www.ebykr.com/drysdale-mid-century-mystery/

Saw Shawn's thread on the Bianchi with the Cambio Corsa derailleur. Thought I would show one of my latest acquisitions. Early Alvin Drysdale with bolt on rear stays. Equipped with a Oscar Egg derailleur. Nice original bike. I believe the bike is from the late 1930"s? Trying to identify brakes? Any info. appreciated! Dave

View attachment 915946

View attachment 915947

View attachment 915949
View attachment 915956

Awesome bike! Do you know what year that shifting mechanism was first used? How many cogs on the freewheel? I'm assuming you can just shift on the fly unlike the Cambio Corsa set up. V/r Shawn

Oh, yeah!
That one is magnificent.
Thank's for posting those links guys.
That was perfect reading for a Sunday morning.
Akin to a religious experience.
I don't know, if an Alvin Drysdale bicycle can be compared to the Holy Grail, but that one certainly seems to be close to it.

Are the brake calipers aluminium, or painted steel?
They look a little French in design.
The "Lauterwasser" style bars are certainly very '30s. The longer reach of the bars negated the need for a handlebar stem with a long extension; to counteract stem breakage problems due to poor quality early aluminium stems.
Your handlebar stem looks a little off-kilter in the photo.
Great bicycle!

Back