When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I Crazy to Use This Vintage Bike as Yard Art?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
From the looks of it, this 1938 Murray Durby was yard art for at least 70 years before I bought and restored it. Or perhaps junk yard art:) I was able to use all the parts except the rims, tires, spokes, grips, chain and a few of the bolts. Enjoy your bike as yard art... 50 years from now someone like me may buy and restore it. The more rust the better the story.
530AD6BF-7609-4B0B-9F97-3F705CE1757E.jpg
5CBBF0AC-0BA6-4C25-A21C-25BE78E9815E.JPG

Rivnut:
I didn't mean to disrespect your white bike. I only wanted you to know that there is a somber significance to ghost bikes installed as memorials. I live in the New York City area so I would assume that there is more conflict between cyclists and drivers than in your part of the world. However, I went to ghost bikes.org and found that there are ghost bikes memorializing cyclists in Kansas (in Lawrence, Salina, and Topeka).

I too, see a fair amount of white “ghost bikes” in the N.Y. Metropolitan area. As far as yard art, I think that the boys bikes are sadly under represented. The girls have really taken over, it’s about time we got some more of the boys out there. Nice choice.

I checked the web on ghost bikes and read where ghost bikes are locked to a lamp post or sign post close to where a cyclist was struck and injured/died. I haven't had any automobiles driving on my front walk recently - or ever that I know of. :) Most recreational cyclist in my Neighborhood ride on the Gary Haller trail, 17 miles from Nelson Island on the Kansas River to a park in Olathe.

I get to Lawrence every once in a while; I'll keep my eyes open for it. Rachel Leek was a student at the University of Kansas and was killed by a drunk driver. This was the only reference to a ghost bike in Kansas that I could find.

Last edited:
You really need to set the bar a bit higher for a "true" yard art classification.
Dog walkers and such might "poo poo" your choice as a cop out or really
just not "going for it full on".....

A suggestion for some Bicycles in your search would be the following...

Bluebird
Aerocycle
Super Safety Huffman
Autocycle
Schwinn Motorbike
SilverKing Hextube or Wingbar (these are good as they cut rust to a minimum)
Ranger Champion
37 Roadmaster.....

These bicycles will add grace and beauty to any yard, even an unkempt one will be
elevated with the above eye candy list.
If you are able to procure any of the above? Please post an update here and an
address so we may visit your neighborly display.

Contact me for an extensive list if you need further advice....

Allison,Welcome to the Cabe. I still may think you are crazy regardless of the bike but here is what I would do. Offer the bike for sale to the Cabers that think this is better than yard art.
I don't think she's crazy, just look at her avatar. Why she's as cute as a June bug ! If she wanted to convert an Elgin Robbin into a Chester Cheeto bike and put it in the garden as yard art I'd say go for it girl !!
cheeto-2-jpg.jpg

Rivnut:
I didn't mean to disrespect your white bike. I only wanted you to know that there is a somber significance to ghost bikes installed as memorials. I live in the New York City area so I would assume that there is more conflict between cyclists and drivers than in your part of the world. However, I went to ghost bikes.org and found that there are ghost bikes memorializing cyclists in Kansas (in Lawrence, Salina, and Topeka).

To be fair now, the 'ghost bike' project that started in St. Louis in 2003 have been using the name of a Mountain bike company that was in existence for 10 years when the U.S. 'ghost bike' idea came about.

When I think of Ghost Bikes, I think of a very high end bicycle.

https://www.ghost-bikes.com/en/company/

1565754401557.png

They come in white also.

1565754434175.png

Back