When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I READING this correctly? Could this be STANDARD?

-

fat tire trader

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hello,
I traded a 1936 Schwinn frame with a locking fork and a Excelsior badge for this frame yesterday.

reading_1-1.jpg

So far the only bikes that I have found pictures of that have a brace like this are Reading Standards.

1914_reading-1.jpg

I have also read that Reading was acquired by the Great Western MFG. Co. I don't know what year. Can anyone confirm that this is a Reading?

reading_2-1.jpg

Does anyone know of another company that made a frame with a brace like this? I read in one of the threads that Dayton may have made a frame with a similar brace in 1910.

reading_3-1.jpg

The fork is bent so gracefully. Is it possible that it was designed this way? Or is it gracefully damaged?

Some of you may have seen this at a swap meet recently. I got it from a Flipper.

Thanks,
Chris

[video=youtube_share;kJCKwqyR7KY]http://youtu.be/kJCKwqyR7KY[/video]

Last edited:
I have since purchased a complete Reading Standard and sold the frame to a friend. I'll share some photos of my new bike soon.

reading_standard_1920.PNG

1) I have no idea what that frame is, but it's awesome.

2) Thanks for posting that Flipper song...I haven't heard it in ages! I saw them at Mabuhay Gardens in San Francisco back in '83, but that's a different story...

Back