When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I too fat for this bike????

-

silvertonguedevil

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Ok. I'm a big guy. I get it. I'm 5'10" and about 225 lbs. But.....I just picked up this '56 JC Higgins Jetflow with the Beehive springer and was devastated to see the front tire mash up into the fender as soon as I sat down on the seat!! I can't even ride this thing! My old X53 and my Murray Fleetline are just fine though. I get that those have dual springs but is it really that much of a difference? Do I have to go on a serious diet? Or sell the bike? I really hope not. I love this thing!! What are my options?

Ok. I'm a big guy. I get it. I'm 5'10" and about 225 lbs. But.....I just picked up this '56 JC Higgins Jetflow with the Beehive springer and was devastated to see the front tire mash up into the fender as soon as I sat down on the seat!! I can't even ride this thing! My old X53 and my Murray Fleetline are just fine though. I get that those have dual springs but is it really that much of a difference? Do I have to go on a serious diet? Or sell the bike? I really hope not. I love this thing!! What are my options?

It should support you fine--spring is probably toast--find another spring and you should be good. I've seen this on the Schwinns more than others. V/r Shawn

Stick it up in your attic and on to the next one...that's what I do anyway.
You only need on vintage rider in my opinion that just feels right.
Chris

I feel your pain!

But if you think you're fat, I must be OBESE! It isn't easy finding a comfy vintage rider being 6'4" and 265lbs. I know losing a few lbs will help some, but I don't think I can get any shorter. Love those Higgins bikes, but I just don't fit. Any pics of your ride?

Last edited:
My 49 Higgins has the same issue as yours with the side to side movement of the wheel in the springer fork. I think Im going to try the idea of putting a spring inside the spring, sounds like the perfect fix. If you decide you cant live with that Jetflow let me know, I know a great home for it ;)

Back