• Please take a moment to read the new post TRADING SAFETY. It contains important information for those who use the classified ads for buying and selling.

Am I too fat for this bike????

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

silvertonguedevil

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Ok. I'm a big guy. I get it. I'm 5'10" and about 225 lbs. But.....I just picked up this '56 JC Higgins Jetflow with the Beehive springer and was devastated to see the front tire mash up into the fender as soon as I sat down on the seat!! I can't even ride this thing! My old X53 and my Murray Fleetline are just fine though. I get that those have dual springs but is it really that much of a difference? Do I have to go on a serious diet? Or sell the bike? I really hope not. I love this thing!! What are my options?

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Ok. I'm a big guy. I get it. I'm 5'10" and about 225 lbs. But.....I just picked up this '56 JC Higgins Jetflow with the Beehive springer and was devastated to see the front tire mash up into the fender as soon as I sat down on the seat!! I can't even ride this thing! My old X53 and my Murray Fleetline are just fine though. I get that those have dual springs but is it really that much of a difference? Do I have to go on a serious diet? Or sell the bike? I really hope not. I love this thing!! What are my options?

It should support you fine--spring is probably toast--find another spring and you should be good. I've seen this on the Schwinns more than others. V/r Shawn

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Stick it up in your attic and on to the next one...that's what I do anyway.
You only need on vintage rider in my opinion that just feels right.
Chris

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
I feel your pain!

But if you think you're fat, I must be OBESE! It isn't easy finding a comfy vintage rider being 6'4" and 265lbs. I know losing a few lbs will help some, but I don't think I can get any shorter. Love those Higgins bikes, but I just don't fit. Any pics of your ride?

Last edited:

militarymonark

Staff member
I have a friend that had this issue with the same springer. I suggested that he take the springer apart and add a smaller higher rated spring inside the beehive springer to give it some extra strength. It worked well for him. I did the same thing to my twinflex.

Bri-In-RI

Wore out three sets of tires already!
My 49 Higgins has the same issue as yours with the side to side movement of the wheel in the springer fork. I think Im going to try the idea of putting a spring inside the spring, sounds like the perfect fix. If you decide you cant live with that Jetflow let me know, I know a great home for it ;)

srfndoc

Finally riding a big boys bike
Resurrecting an old thread.... is there any adjustment that can be made on a Higgins beehive springer front end? My wife's 1950 JC Higgins has this springer but it seems to bottom out very easy on the front stops. Seems like there would be some type of tension adjustment but I don't see anything.

Thanks

1817cent

I live for the CABE
I have the same problem and can't ride the beehive springers without them bottoming out on the front tire. That issue caused me to go to Schwinn's and upgrade the spring. No problems now!

srfndoc

Finally riding a big boys bike
My wife's springer doesn't bottom out on the tire, but the rockers bottom out on the fork. Seen here:

Maybe I have the rockers setup incorrectly or maybe these are not the correct JC Higgins Rockers as they look different than a pair for sale:

Last edited:

tech549

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
the rockers are offset so the wider end goes to the back and will clear the fork on compression.

20210110_040431.jpg

20210110_040705.jpg

HEMI426

Look Ma, No Hands!
A valve spring off a V-8 car engine should fit inside the beehive spring and they are pretty stiff.

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Murray used different type rockers on the 60's springers and I've noticed rockers on the early Beehive springers are slightly different than the Murray Mercury/ X53 springers. This is why I hate buying springers sold separately from a bike. Sometimes you get a "made up" job, that looks good, but works like crap because it's been just slapped together.