When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 1899 Perks & Birch Motorwheel!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
This is a spectacular motorwheel! Located at the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu, UK.

E3879D67-3540-46B9-A521-67B1B783B787.jpeg

0234111D-5510-457C-9876-FEF9B4DB72D1.jpeg

E0C5969C-4CB2-4F66-A2D8-B863EAB3AB44.jpeg

C7F68E1F-0435-4687-89C7-1A4BBBDE047C.jpeg

wow. what a beautiful rear wheel without the motor! It would be easy to think it's cast aluminum but there is about no chance(a patented method for producing pure aluminum cheaply was issued a couple years earlier and nobody would have gained the casting skills that quickly). Cast steel, or drop forged steel nickle plated--beautiful.

wow. what a beautiful rear wheel without the motor! It would be easy to think it's cast aluminum but there is about no chance(a patented method for producing pure aluminum cheaply was issued a couple years earlier and nobody would have gained the casting skills that quickly). Cast steel, or drop forged steel nickle plated--beautiful.
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree, the rims are cast aluminum. Heaps of aluminum was being cast at that time. Two different bicycles were being produced by 1895 almost entirely of aluminum: Lu-mi-num from Saint Louis, and a second company in France. De Dion-Bouton was having their engine casings cast in aluminum in 1897 or 1898.

Luminum4.jpg

Great evidence! The Hall-Herault Process was patented in 1884(ish)--before that aluminum was quite rare and expensive. Obviously manufacturers took advantage of the lower cost right away.

Looks like a Singer. They were marketing that device around the turn of the century. They were stuffing engines into every corner of the chassis in those days. Imagine that lump of metal in your front forks, talk about heavy handling. There’s information to be had if you search Singer motorwheel or motorcycle. I think I’ve even read a roadtest of one of those things in an English magazine, not a nice thing to ride as I remember.

Back