When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Amazing 1952 Original Schwinn Hornet

-
Price
Zipcode
I get kinda excited when people 'in the know' start yakking about frame serial numbers and you cats seem to be 'very', in the know. Can you guesstimate, approximate or shareimate (?) what a serial number stamped as I81098 means? That first character looks like a capital i. Ive been thru the posted lists I could find on the CABE but my serial number does not seem to exist?

I get kinda excited when people 'in the know' start yakking about frame serial numbers and you cats seem to be 'very', in the know. Can you guesstimate, approximate or shareimate (?) what a serial number stamped as I81098 means? That first character looks like a capital i. Ive been thru the posted lists I could find on the CABE but my serial number does not seem to exist?

Have your tried looking it up on bikehistory.org? There is a serial number look-up tool.
-Connor

That’s weird, I ran the serial number for this Hornet and it worked fine...

The bikehistory.org serial number look up is fatally flawed and continues to uneducate millions. Did it tell you your number was used in three different post war years?

And this is misleading to say the least!
(Enter your Schwinn serial number in the box and click "find" to see what date and year your Schwinn bike was manufactured.)

@Ron Nichols needs to start a thread with pictures if he wants help. His number will not be in that flawed serial number look up.

Hey Connor, I'm away from home so cannot get to the bike to photograph the serial number. I scoured my pictures that I have with me and none show that! The serial number is, the letter i followed by 81098. The i is a capital (looks like an i beam). Im attaching an early picture of the bike so you can see the frame. It is now pretty much rebuilt with all the period bits and pieces. Paint and chrome left to do.

View attachment 1122990

View attachment 1122993

View attachment 1122991

Hey Connor, I'm away from home so cannot get to the bike to photograph the serial number. I scoured my pictures that I have with me and none show that! The serial number is, the letter i followed by 81098. The i is a capital (looks like an i beam). Im attaching an early picture of the bike so you can see the frame. It is now pretty much rebuilt with all the period bits and pieces. Paint and chrome left to do.

It looks like you have the start of a nice Whizzer... You should start a thread in the Motorized Bicycles section here on the CABE. I don't know much about serial numbers, but there are a bunch of great people here who can help you out.
-Connor

Great original 52' Schwinn Hornet. It has a pair of NOS Hornet fenders on it. The rest of the paint is in great original condition. Both the light and horn work. It's a great rider and has a great set of B.F. Goodrich tires on it... $850 cash pick up in San Diego or PM me to arrange shipping. Thanks for looking!
-Connor
View attachment 1120080
View attachment 1120086

View attachment 1120081

View attachment 1120082

View attachment 1120083

View attachment 1120085
Really nice hornet. Why does this bike have a Spitfire head badge? Just wondering. Razin.

Back