When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Special Hub Cycle Co ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

epochdesign

On Training Wheels
New to the group and I have a bunch of bikes I've collected over the last 40+ years...
I've had this bike for 25+ years and have never really known anything about it, and haven't been able to find any info on the badge name.

It's a skip-jack with metal-clad wooden rims, and a Sturmey-Archer 3-spd with top tube shifter. The paint appears to be mostly original - maybe a military issue bike (judging by the color). The front hub seems to be the the only thing not stock. Can anyone give me some history on this bike? Thanks!

20181021_172812.jpg

20181021_172823.jpg

20181021_172819.jpg

20181027_161225.jpg

20181027_161234.jpg

20181027_161250.jpg

20181027_161258.jpg

Hi All,

The only help I can give is that it seems to be a Type K Sturmey Archer according to the change lever (but the hub appears to have a backpedal brake, so is not a type K?).

Anyway, the type K was introduced either in 1918 or 1922, according to this site, and the one below:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/index.php?page=history&type=technic

There is a very interesting source on dating and maintaining K hubs here:

https://hadland.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/k-series-s-a-hubs.pdf

If you get a chance to look at/clean the hub and find the exact type, that will help. It may even be dated.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi All,

The only help I can give is that it seems to be a Type K Sturmey Archer according to the change lever (but the hub appears to have a backpedal brake, so is not a type K?).

Anyway, the type K was introduced either in 1918 or 1922, according to this site, and the one below:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/index.php?page=history&type=technic

There is a very interesting source on dating and maintaining K hubs here:

https://hadland.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/k-series-s-a-hubs.pdf

If you get a chance to look at/clean the hub and find the exact type, that will help. It may even be dated.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks Adrian! I will get a better look and some photos of the hub and get back to you. I've had this bike for ages and always wondered what it was and when it was made.
Sounds like we're getting a little closer.

The back story on this bike: this guy I knew years ago collected 40-50's balloon tire bikes and scoured the mid-west a couple times a year looking for treasures. I told him that I would buy any prewar bikes he found. So he called me up on a return from one of these trips and told me about this pre-war bike he found over the phone and so I bought it sight-unseen. An hour or so later he called me up and offered to buy the bike back for 4x what I agreed paid him. I declined, which is funny because I still hadn't seen the bike yet. I just figured if he would turn around and offer me more than what I paid him, it must be something special. And so its collected dust in my attic ever since.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, epochdesign.

I'd also suggest that since it's not obviously a military bike (others civilian bikes were also painted green during this era, eg the Harley Davidsons. I suspect green surplus paint was readily available), that you post it in the the pre 1933 bikes section. It looks early with that badge style, and not all who read that section read this one too. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a fuller reply there.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, epochdesign.

I'd also suggest that since it's not obviously a military bike (others civilian bikes were also painted green during this era, eg the Harley Davidsons. I suspect green surplus paint was readily available), that you post it in the the pre 1933 bikes section. It looks early with that badge style, and not all who read that section read this one too. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a fuller reply there.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Hi Adrian,
Is there a way to just move the post, or do I need to recreate it in another section?
Thanks!

Back