When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMF Built Westpoint Flying Wedge project

-
No problem. What I could see and remember of the bike there was no bubbling under the spray paint. I think it was just too much chrome for the owner and they painted it. Sometimes that works out for the best. It keeps the chrome from rusting much. Gasoline would take the paint off.
They did not paint the chainguard, fork or fenders.
It will be the 1st before I can get to the storage unit. I will pull it out then man and bring it home. I can send photos then.
Thanks, Rob

No problem. What I could see and remember of the bike there was no bubbling under the spray paint. I think it was just too much chrome for the owner and they painted it. Sometimes that works out for the best. It keeps the chrome from rusting much. Gasoline would take the paint off.
They did not paint the chainguard, fork or fenders.
It will be the 1st before I can get to the storage unit. I will pull it out then man and bring it home. I can send photos then.
Thanks, Rob
Okay. Sounds good.. Would be cool to build up another one as i did one about 4 years ago and turned out really cool. Does it have the rack too? Thanks Rob..

It's been a while since my last post on this thread and I have some updates.
Two weeks or so back I was bidding on an NOS rear slick, the RWL The Fast One that came on these bikes.
I lost by about $5.00, and afterwards asked myself on another Forum what kind of idiot would pay almost $200 for a 20" bicycle tire.
I asked that question again when the seller found another one in his stock and posted it for sale.
Then I raised my hand.
Actually in my defense I didn't pay almost $200 for it. He gave me a special price on a Buy it Now. So I only paid just under $170 so I can use the savings toward a 20 minute counseling session to try to cure myself of these momentary lapses of reason.
Then when it comes I can mount it on the bike and ride down my road doing skid marks and burnouts because that's what they were made for!
I would feel better if I could find the matching front tire and pay way too much for it as well.
I also found a set of brake levers in nice shape from a touring AMF for about $15 shipped.
I found an early Shimano Eagle derailleur like what that year used that was about 2 points under NOS and I got it for about $25 shipped. It and the slick are the 2 nicest parts on the bike. They are making the rest of the parts feel inadequate.
Except for the seat. It is a real butt kisser.
About an hour after I spent all my money on worthless baubles a guy from the Rat Rod Bikes forum messaged me and said he had the last hard part I was looking for, the Aerobee and Wedge full chainguard. I wanted to paint it black to match the bike and use the cool Flying Wedge 005 decal with the Screeech dragster by the back wheel. I may be able to work out a trade with him, if not he will hold it until my next monetary blessing falls from the sky.
If things keep going this well I will have no excuse for not finishing the bike sometime this decade.
I will post some photos of the new parts tomorrow unless my wife has me committed to a mental institution over this last purchase.
Thanks for listening to my latest mindless rant.
Rob

The chainguard style with the decals set.

Screenshot_20220123-084757_Gallery.jpg

Back