When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMF Firestone Speed Chief year?

-

Woodtickgreg

Look Ma, No Hands!
This is a friend of mines bike. He is having me go through it and tune it up, I'm actually going to do a light restore on it. He still rides it as it should be. I'm trying to date it without much luck, maybe the fine folks here can assist me with that. It's made by Cleveland welding company for AMF Firestone. It has 2 serial numbers, one on a tag on the rear dropout and one on the bottom bracket shell. It has peaked fenders and at one time it did have a fender mounted light that is now long gone.

20190316_151409.jpg

20190727_130207.jpg

20190316_151419.jpg

20190316_151428.jpg

20190316_151452.jpg

20190730_181842.jpg

20190730_180759.jpg

Missing the light.
20190316_151517.jpg

Wedged seat post is a little different.
20190729_201559.jpg

I have stripped it down for a good cleaning, inspection, and repack of all the bearings. The grease had turned to a hard waxy type substance, lol.
20190729_201619.jpg

I'll touch up the paint on the frame without destroying the decals that I'll never be able to find. I'm thinking about replacing the spokes and painting the rims since they are starting to get pretty rusty. Some of the spokes turn and some dont, even after soaking with oil. The bike might look better with new spokes, but I dont want to kill the value of it in any way. What do you folks have to add about this fine old bike?

Last edited:
The serial number on the drop-out looks like it was added for or by the retailer. The serial number on the bottom bracket is from the factory. Here's a thread about dating CWC's: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cleveland-welding-s-n-project.2705/page-22 and going by Phil Marshall's serial number list, "G" makes it 1957. I'd rather have a few replaced spokes than a wobbly wheel, so go for it! That bike should clean up nice.

Last edited:
I notice yours has the "Masterweld - Cleveland Welding" decal on the seat tube. I have a 1957 Flying Falcon, but mine has the "Masterweld - AMF Wheeled Goods" version. Maybe yours is from earlier in the year. AMF built a new factory in Little Rock in 1956, and once it was up and running, they started winding down production in Cleveland. I don't know for sure, but your decal makes me wonder if your bike was built in Cleveland. If it was, it was probably one of the last.

Well I decided to paint the rims on the bike because they are getting pretty rusty. Insides of the rimsook pretty good, front wheel has rust it one spot from being stored with a flat tire. Front hub is German made. Rear hub is a new departure that I will take apart and clean to inspect for worn parts. New 14g spokes are on order.
20190816_110201.jpg

Front hub has a couple of bad rust spots on it but I'll clean it as best I can. Trying to keep it as original as possible.
20190816_101151.jpg

Rear wheel will get stripped and then I'll paint the rims.

Greg, looks great! or. paint looks good . I use alum. foil fold it in a square rub the dull side on the chrome try it in a spot first see how I works for you ? I used it a lot on old cars too.

Back side of the hub in the picture is worse, chrome is gone in a couple of places. I'll clean it up best I can. That's a cool lookin bike @Oilit
Thank you sir! I'll probably post some more pictures after I get it looking a little better. And feel free to post some of the Firestone when it's done! It's always interesting to compare before and after.

Back