When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMF Firestone Speed Chief year?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Honestly I don’t know who made it. In the beginning of this post he says it’s an AMF. ‍♂️
His bike is an AMF, but I think yours was built by Monark. Firestone was a tire company and they sold bikes through their tire stores but the bikes were built by other companies for Firestone. Goodrich did the same thing and I think Goodyear as well. The AMF is 1957 and is a middleweight (26 x 1.75 tires), yours may be older. It looks like there's enough clearance in the front fender that yours may have been a balloon tire bike (26 x 2.125) as well, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: JLF
I’m going to post a request for info in the middleweight forum. Please join me in that post. I’m curious to know more about this bike. I suspected Monark, but I don’t know them yet.
I would love to see more pictures of these bikes to help me get mine back in shape.

I have not researched the year, but has middleweight tires. I cant find numbers on it!. no plate on bottom. Look more tomorrow

Hey oldfart, sorry, had to say it. No offense, Im old too. Anyway just measured Across frame just under rim, below seat. My speed chief was 3 inches. Measured my Monark Rocket balloon with exact same frame, was 3 1/4 inches. I want to stuff balloon tires on Speed Chief, but still think its MW

Hey oldfart, sorry, had to say it. No offense, Im old too. Anyway just measured Across frame just under rim, below seat. My speed chief was 3 inches. Measured my Monark Rocket balloon with exact same frame, was 3 1/4 inches. I want to stuff balloon tires on Speed Chief, but still think its MW
You can get clearance but it means cold setting the frame. It's not the axle area that needs it; it's the rear stays by the seat tube & the upper stays by the seat post. The M/W fenders aren't as flared / wide usually. The middle weight I am soon getting; a '64 Fire Bolt with the built in rack .... I intend to correct this Verrry carefully to run 2.125" Columbia Superb white walls on. I will be joining you guys but with the balloon tires I love. Worse case I have to bastardise it with 24" wheels & not use the tires I have & want initially. I do know I won't stress the welds & if that seems like the case will cut another frame to extend it as needed. Front fork will be a non Higgins beehive springer temporary for now 'cause I have an idea I am thinkin' hard on to remedy balloon tires in middle weights. Will test junk forks & post if it works out

Since last time i posted here, i took my Speed Chief apart and went through it. I did manage to stuff balloon tires under the fenders but it was tough. The frame is ok but MW fenders real tight. I got them to fit but with little clearance. Did a little cleaning, straightening, servicing Will ride soon!!

DSCF9596.JPG

DSCF9597.JPG

DSCF9599.JPG

Since last time i posted here, i took my Speed Chief apart and went through it. I did manage to stuff balloon tires under the fenders but it was tough. The frame is ok but MW fenders real tight. I got them to fit but with little clearance. Did a little cleaning, straightening, servicing Will ride soon!!

View attachment 1380799

View attachment 1380800

View attachment 1380802
Hell Yeahs! I intend to see how the ballooner fenders fit when I purchase my next MW. It's not an original build so I may try original fenders for Columbia, some Schwinn "duck tails" and maybe even my Monark Super Deeps. It has box store / walds on it but I think I can make it a little less close with some work. I don't think the frames are much different between the ballooner & middle weight by much more than 1/4" usually

View attachment 1380799

View attachment 1380800

View attachment 1380802
Did you ever find the year? I think Huffy bought Monark at the end of 1957 (Thanks, @Adamtinkerer!) and this looks like it was before Huffy, so maybe 1955-57?

Back