When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amf Junior tricycle help

-

whirlybird

'Lil Knee Scuffer
So using this site I found that this tricycle is a late 60s to early 70s model. What I can't find out is why this one has the bars on the back.

Any ideas what these are? Does it make it rare or valuable in any way?
20170327_154547.jpg
20170327_154544.jpg
20170327_154552.jpg

I'm guessing it was made to resemble a fire truck with the bars for the rear rider to hang on the way fire personnel used to ride the back of old fire trucks. The "clang-clang" bell on the front and red reflectors on the fender help give it the fire truck look. Murray also produced a fire chief tricycle having bars on the sides of the rear step and same type of bell on the front.

Dave

I have looked all over for a picture of one, but can not locate one. It would be a neat project to restore it, but without being able to see what it originally looked like makes it hard!! Thx for the reply!

I just noticed the brackets attached to the rear bars. These probably are the hangers for ladders similar to what some pedal car fire trucks had.

Here is a link to the similar Murray Fire Chief tricycle for reference: http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/1192416/fp78.cgi
Here is a link to a Murray fire truck pedal car showing ladders attached to brackets on the side bars. This is very similar to what your trike has: https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/10740845

I've looked for an AMF Junior trike like yours and haven't found one yet, but you've got my curiosity up now and I'll dig some more.

Dave

I saw the Murray Fire Chief while looking for mine. I found a green one online that looked just like it without the rear brackets but that has been about it. Thanks for all your help. I still need to find a wheel for it but after that it seems all cosmetic.

Ok so after talking to an older family member, he says that he remembers the tricycle and that it came with wooden ladders on the side and a bell. Well the bell is there for sure. He also said that the ladders were up in the old barn attic, but not sure if they were broken or not. I am going to try and go look this weekend but I doubt they are still there. I would like to still find a pic of them to maybe have a replica made.

Earlier year and different tricycle but very similar concept to that above owned by whirlybird

i841.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz338%2Ftybrown-photos%2FMurrayRidingToys%2FIMGP2784_zpsrggadpcf.jpg

Dave - super thanks for that link!!

Now I have to decide to preserve or restore but I am leaning toward restoring it unless I find the original ladders.

Back