When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMF Roadmaster Date of Manufacture

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

xchezhd

On Training Wheels
I’m looking to find the date of manufacture for my AMF Roadmaster. I’ll attach some pics. Thanks!

B15DBDEB-FD87-4295-A2DD-4AD96F888894.png

7D695E9A-05FD-4890-9BF2-31CADF098EA1.jpeg

DB4905A2-BE46-4036-8068-0C649CC7A580.jpeg

The Bendix coaster brake arm reads “patent pending”. Bendix had two CB hub patent designs for their “Red Band” products, about 1961 and 1963.
But patents do not stay "pending" forever.
They may have stamped an “RB” or “RB2” on the brake arm. These may give you a ballpark date range, if the hub has 1 red stripe (band) around the middle. If no stripe (band), then pre-61. These middle weight bikes, with 1.75" wide tires,were first introduced in the late 1950's, and that was about the time that metallic candy-coat paint was introduced.

Last edited:
The Bendix coaster brake arm reads “patent pending”. Bendix had two CB hub patent designs for their “Red Band” products, about 1961 and 1963.
But patents do not stay "pending" forever.
They may have stamped an “RB” or “RB2” on the brake arm. These may give you a ballpark date range, if the hub has 1 red stripe (band) around the middle. If no stripe (band), then pre-61. These middle weight bikes, with 1.75" wide tires,were first introduced in the late 1950's, and that was about the time that metallic candy-coat paint was introduced.
Thank you; didn’t even think it would be the coaster brake serial number! I searched that whole bike for a serial number on the frame but can’t believe there is no serial number whatsoever. Dang.

The serial number is on the rear left drop out, starting with the letter “L” as shown in the last picture.
Perhaps others like myself are not too familiar with the ~1960s serial numbers.

Archie, at least you got me into the 1960's so I'm a step closer. I love the head post badge on this bike! Classic USA!!

According to Phil Marshall's chart in the Cleveland Welding serial number thread here:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cleveland-welding-s-n-project.2705/page-22
- the "L" indicates 1961. (Cleveland Welding was the original manufacturer, bought by AMF in 1951). This is the first time I've seen this version of a Roadmaster badge, thanks for posting!
Appreciate the info- I tried to Google a chart of manufacture date and you provided exactly what I was looking for. Gracias!

Back