When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMF Wedge 5 speed Cleaning Up Nice

-
You were right, I stand corrected.

I just looked at a couple old pictures of them and they had the same white lines.

What a great ad. I don’t remember seeing that at all and never heard about it.

Andy Granatelli had a lot of influence on musclebikers as well as car guys.
“STP, the racers edge”
I remember putting that sludge in some of my motors, yikes!
The kids put those stickers on everything, especially the rear fenders of their bikes, those and Moon eyes.

Great to see these bikes getting some recognition.
My 1970 has the Fast One white letter tires.
I have another set for the orange Roadmaster I am getting from a friend.

Looked at the tire’s this evening and can’t find anything significant on the rear tire that would show the manufacturer other than says made in Japan in really small print. The front tire does have “The Silver Star Tire” labeled on it.
My other Wedge has the exact same tires on it. I have also seen some previous posts on these that show these exact tires as well.
Hmmm,..I’m thinking these are the original tires that came on this model or it’s just coincidence which is possible as well.

04B07FC3-565F-4EAB-9BFE-D68292A4BE7B.jpeg

In the early 90s I had a black Flying Wedge. It had The Fast One tires on it as well. I'd say whatever tires came with it are just fine. The rubber doesn't last like American made tires and they can be pretty hard to find in rideable condition.

Would love to stumble across that "billboard" frame insert from the Granatelli ad!

Looked at the tire’s this evening and can’t find anything significant on the rear tire that would show the manufacturer other than says made in Japan in really small print. The front tire does have “The Silver Star Tire” labeled on it.
My other Wedge has the exact same tires on it. I have also seen some previous posts on these that show these exact tires as well.
Hmmm,..I’m thinking these are the original tires that came on this model or it’s just coincidence which is possible as well.

View attachment 1769743
There may have been multiple manufacturers used for the tires.
Even Schwinn had to do that sometimes.

A couple photos of my black 1970 Westpoint badged AMF Flying Wedge.
It was a rolling frame with junk wheels when I got it. The PO had sold off the 5 speed parts and then (surprise) wasn't having much luck selling the frame. It had a cut off set of Rams Horns handlebars identical to the ones it has now.
I traded a Huffy Pro Thunder bike with Lester Mags for it and spent 10 tears looking for a shifter.
It had a Trelleborg slick, but it blew out riding it as a coaster brake bike one day
I put the Raleigh 10 speed fork on it because it has holes like the frame which I intend to make plugs with the same pattern as on the others.
I am building drum brake wheels to make it nicer to ride.
20230117_090125.jpg

20230117_091315.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I would post this cool bike for you guys as it is cleaning up nice. Got this bike last summer and just got around to getting it back in shape.
I’m not a big collector of muscle bikes although I have a few. I’m really into prewar bikes for the most part but this one has impressed me with its style. Everything seems completely original right down to the tires. That is,..that I’m aware of anyway. I’m sure some of you can make a better determination of that than me.
I just happened to have some NOS orange bar tape so I did add that. It had black plugs in the bars but I didn’t have black. I think it turned out ok. The lime green part of the frame has some paint loss but still very presentable.
Still have a little more cleaning and a few more tweaks then I’ll be done.

View attachment 1769373

View attachment 1769374

View attachment 1769375

View attachment 1769376
Man, those colors really pop! Nice!

Back