When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMP Research

-
Who and where were the Mongoose Amps built by?
The Mongoose Amplifiers were rebadged AMP Research B2s.
8834ef5ca6a8f3dbc427677d571bad09.jpg

AMP made some bikes for Mercedes Benz also. The Benz models were B5s with more suspension travel, lots-o-carbon fiber and a healthy price tag.
s-l1000.jpg

AMP also sold rear ends to other companies. This a Dagger. It had a Easton front triangle. You could build them crazy light.
389071320de4aef95b454f2f2bc08ab7.jpg

Nice. The Horst Link bikes and the Amp rides with the linkage fork was the cats meao setup back in the day. Big tube triangles with the Horst Link in aluninum you could build up really light. This Linkage fork design is still relevant, functional and beautiful IMO.

The Mongoose Amplifiers were rebadged AMP Research B2s.
View attachment 968711

AMP made some bikes for Mercedes Benz also. The Benz models were B5s with more suspension travel, lots-o-carbon fiber and a healthy price tag.
View attachment 968697

AMP also sold rear ends to other companies. This a Dagger. It had a Easton front triangle. You could build them crazy light.
View attachment 968698
Worked on at least one of those over the years! The Mercedes that is.
BTW, univega spec.ed many of thier bikes with " concept " forks which were re badged AMP forks in the early 90's.

I built up a GT Dyno Moto 7 with a steel AMP Research fork, and used it as a commuter bike.
The downtube on that frame had a tight little curve just behind the headtube that gave the perfect clearance for the Horst Link unit.
It was my first experience with the Shimano Nexus system.
It and the Amp fork worked flawlessly, for the 15 years that I rode that bike to and from work.
I ended up giving the bike to a friend who wanted to start commuting to work on a bike.
As far as I know, he’s still occasionally rides that bike to work.
At first, I was pretty skeptical of the spindly nature of that fork, but it proved to be more than up to the task.
Tried and true, for sure, by this rider.

Just stumbled across this recent thread while looking for info on this bike. Rode it in the 90s and just dug it out of my parents house. Wanting to get back into biking and have been seeing a lot of talk about how much better the newer tech is. Definitely don’t think it competes with the minimal looks of this one though. Deciding on if I should rehab it or sell and get something more fitting for a beginner again..?
D0FF8819-0A58-4E81-8BE0-92A4A171B0CB.jpeg

Back