When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An antique hub with a brake drum. What is it? And Thanks.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tpahjim

On Training Wheels
IMG_6867.jpg

I know "one-post-wonders" are annoying. I'm an antique camera guy so I know how this goes. But hoping you good folks can help me identify this piece. Found on a walk in the desert near Tonopah Nevada where I live. Tonopah began about 1900 so this may be from that time frame.

BTW I do have some bicycle heritage. My mom's second husband was George Garner during the mid 1960's when he was the leading king of Schwinn sales in So. Cal. and then in Northbrook IL. When I was 14 years old I attended the Schwinn training center in Chicago at the old factory and somewhere I have the cerificate of completion. I put literally hundreds of Schwinn's together in that time frame for Mr. Garner. $1.35 an hour baby. These days I have a 1st gen Bianchi "mountain bike" circa 1982 rusting away in the back yard. Even at Valley Cyclery, Bianchi's were always held in very high esteem. Someone stole the wheels on a camping trip so now it sits in the weather, such as it is, in Tonopah.

Thanks for any help. Oh, I left it in the desert. If it's worth a million bucks I hope I can find it twice ;~'))

Welcome to the Cabe!
Your Step Dad was quite the legend among Schwinn dealers.
That hub looks to me, like it may have been from an early motorcycle.
Does it look to be slightly larger than what you would see on a bicycle?

It didn't to me. Very thin spokes and it would fit between a standard bicycle fork, which with the drum area makes it even thinner than standard spoke hub to spoke hub.

Lots of George Garner / Schwinn memories. 1965 seems like maybe the golden age for Schwinn? (and sadly, lots of other stuff)

Thanks. In 1966 the factory trainer at Schwinn in Chicago started us out with a New Departure brake. Obsolete by then but they would still come into the shop from time to time.

Back