When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 1936 Schwinn…

-

Eddie_Boy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
…that I acquired a couple of weekends ago. She's a ’36 Schwinn from a gentlemen I met last year at the Sacramento’s summer bike swap meet. We ran into each other the other weekend at the Union City swap. He mentioned he was selling some old Schwinn bikes. “I’m definitely interested,” I told him. This is what followed me home. I didn’t take a whole lot of pictures, I should have, but here she is.

I believe this to be an unequipped ’36 Schwinn built B97 badged Chicago Cycle Supply La Salle. Several reasons why I was drawn to her. One, she’s a prewar Schwinn and she’s blue, one of my favorite colors. That alone excites me. Two, she’s a straight downtube and that meant a model year with a drop stand. I love drop stand model bikes.

I realize a lot of incorrect items are on her, but the frame, fork and fenders were all intact, consistent patina 'd condition, and in decent shape. That’s more important to me, because the other stuff can be replaced. So another ’36 prewar Schwinn project to get done. I’m excited.

The plan for now is to do up this old gal similar to my recent mini project I did earlier this year, our ’36 Schwinn DBR. I can feel it already, and with the help of a few members here, this will be another fun project for me.

01 bring her home.jpg

02 LaSalle.jpg

Last edited:
…that I acquired a couple of weekends ago. It’s another ’36 Schwinn from a gentlemen I met last year at the Sacramento’s summer bike swap meet. We ran into each other the other weekend at the Union City swap. He mentioned he was selling some old Schwinn bikes. “I’m definitely interested,” I told him. This is what followed me home. I didn’t take a whole lot of pictures, I should have, but here she is.

I believe this to be an unequipped ’36 Schwinn built B97 badged Chicago Cycle Supply La Salle. Several reasons why I was drawn to her. One, she’s a prewar Schwinn and she’s blue, one of my favorite colors. That alone excites me. Two, she’s a straight downtube and that meant a model year with a drop stand. I love drop stand model bikes.

I realize a lot of incorrect items are on her, but the frame, fork and fenders were all intact, consistent patina 'd condition, and in decent shape. That’s more important to me, because the other stuff can be replaced. So another ’36 prewar Schwinn project to get done. I’m excited.

The plan for now is to do up this ’36 Schwinn LaSalle similar to my recent mini project I did earlier this year, our ’36 Schwinn DBR. I can feel it already, and with the help of a few members here, this will be another fun project for me.

View attachment 1657447

View attachment 1657448
Really awesome bike and solid patina.

…that I acquired a couple of weekends ago. It’s another ’36 Schwinn from a gentlemen I met last year at the Sacramento’s summer bike swap meet. We ran into each other the other weekend at the Union City swap. He mentioned he was selling some old Schwinn bikes. “I’m definitely interested,” I told him. This is what followed me home. I didn’t take a whole lot of pictures, I should have, but here she is.

The plan for now is to do up this ’36 Schwinn LaSalle similar to my recent mini project I did earlier this year, our ’36 Schwinn DBR. I can feel it already, and with the help of a few members here, this will be another fun project for me.

View attachment 1657447

View attachment 1657448
Might be a good candidate for an Oxalic Acid bath? Love blue patina!💙

Here she is when I brought her home for the first time. The ladies stem and bars, the seat, and mis-matched pedals are obviously not correct, so those are all going. The clover 24 tooth front sprocket will go as well. Thankful to the seller for providing a sweetheart sprocket and prewar Schwinn truss rods. The black drop stand with ears is not a Schwinn model, but I bought them for my prewar Shelby.

03 1st day being home.jpg

This was interesting to me. I asked @mr.cycleplane if the downtube graphic were ever painted. He told me they were decals in layers. But this La Salle script seems smooth to me. “Maybe the original base layer of the graphic,” he said. Closer inspection shows some crackling of the white and indications of the original gold leaf and black around the first “a”.

04 La Salle downtube graphic.jpg

04a closer inpection of the La Salle downtube graphic.jpg

Happy to see the blue color still on the La Salle badge.

05 La Salle headbadge.jpg

Last edited:
Back