When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 1936 Schwinn…

-
This may help a little on what we see here on the decal. Multi-colored decals are built up in layers. Each color is a 'run' much like silk screening. The layers are extremely thin and measurement is in 'mils'(a decal's layer thickness/measurement for thin-somewhat like sheet metal which is measured in gauge). To keep the same color of the decal on different colored bikes it is necessary to have a common 'base color'(under the original gold color) which is what we see here as 'white'. This base color will reflect the same gold color on the down tube and other decals as well-long after the gold has rubbed off-especially after 75 years of use/abuse and exposure to the elements. Below is an example of the first and probably the thinnest layer rubbing/wearing away and the other areas where there are multiple layers 'surviving'. Nice project Eddie!

Last edited:
This may help a little on what we see here on the decal. Multi-colored decals are built up in layers. Each color is a 'run' much like silk screening. The layers are extremely thin and measurement is in 'mils'(a decal's layer thickness/measurement for thin-somewhat like sheet metal which is measured in gauge). To keep the same color of the decal on different colored bikes it is necessary to have a common 'base color'(under the original gold color) which is what we see here as 'white'. This base color will reflect the same gold color on the down tube and other decals as well-long after the gold has rubbed off-especially after 75 years of use/abuse and exposure to the elements. Below is an example of the first and probably the thinnest layer rubbing/wearing away and the other areas where there are multiple layers 'surviving'. Nice project Eddie!
View attachment 1657851
@mr.cycleplane makes sense now, with same color base for the different colors used. Thanks for the clarification Tyler. Good stuff.

Last edited:
A quick mockup of the ’36 La Salle before I tear her down. This early Schwinn drop stand I got from BobU a while back. First picture is with the Torrington braced bars and Wald #3 that came from a ’37 Schwinn bike. Second picture is with super wide bars and deco stem I picked up recently. I know the braced bars date this old prewar bike and looks appropriate, but I love riding with wide bars.

06 mockup braced bars.jpg

06a mockup wide bars.jpg

Removed the wheels to get started on breaking them down. Both wheels were painted, spokes, nibs, and all; guess they did that a lot, because when I got our ’37, the wheels were the same and not painted well. The front wheel had a ND W, and unfortunately, that was the only thing that was salvageable on that wheel. For me, the Morrow coaster rear hub was a plus. Unsure of the year just yet, surface rust right at the date, but had a square dust cover so a good indication that at least or hopefully this Morrow hub is a prewar. Hoop, spokes, and nibs I will save, so that’s good news on the rear wheel.

08 wheels removed.jpg

07 front wheel break down.jpg

07a front wheel break down.jpg

07b back wheel break down.jpg

07c back wheel break down.jpg

Last edited:
Back