When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 1936 Schwinn…

-
It’s time to address a drop stand on this project. This early Schwinn version was not their best setup. Tried it on this ’36 La Salle, worked, but didn’t like the way the stand looked on this bike. When the stand was down, it leaned forward too much and didn’t align with the vertical fender brace. When the stand is up, it was too long past the fender which places a lot of stress and causing the common fender tear that you see often. And lastly, sagged when up, didn’t align with the chain stay.

View attachment 1670029

View attachment 1670030

Time to modify this early Schwinn version drop stand. Drilled out the original rivets. Brought the ears and legs to my friend Devon, who welded in the 4 holes, 2 on the ears, and two on the legs. Mounted a rear wheel to mock up the stand, carefully making sure I had the setup right, lining up with the vertical fender brace, the chain stay, and shortening the stand not too much that when down, the tire is rubbing on the stand but enough that the stand, when up, doesn’t go way past the fender. Got to comprise a little on the latter two.

View attachment 1670032

View attachment 1670033

View attachment 1670034

View attachment 1670035

View attachment 1670037

View attachment 1670038

View attachment 1670039

View attachment 1670040

I cut the legs down removing around ¼” off the length. Drilled holes on the legs, and once I mocked up the legs on the ears, carefully marked where I needed to drill. This was important, because if off just by a little, it will not line up to the vertical fender brace. I know, because I had to do this twice. That meant filling in the holes on the ears a second time. My mistake.

View attachment 1670045

View attachment 1670046

View attachment 1670047

This ’36 Schwinn B67 badged La Salle is as close to being done and ready for big SF ride. For this project, the same approach, going with the “as found” look, keeping the frame, fork, and fenders uncleaned, while overhauling the mechanicals and drive train, hubs, BB, and headset, and replacing worn out parts with new so she rides smooth.

Both being the same year, basic Schwinn pre-war model bikes with narrow fenders and flat braces, my goal was to build a matching pair, the La Salle and Cochina.

A big shout out to my friends and members here in this CABE community. If I were going to get this project done within a month, I needed parts. If you look at this build, the only items that are original when I brought her home are frame, fork, fenders, and chain guard. That’s it. Oh forgot, and the killer nickel plated seat post.

And thanks to these folks, I got her done. I’ll start with Mark @redline1968 for the Torrington wide steer horn bars. Even @JAF/CO for trying to help me find a B1 chassis. Thanks Jim for taking the time for me and allowing me to hang out with you. Next is Tyler @mr.cycleplane for helping me with the Morrow hubs and encouraging me to buy the B1 Deluxe top last year. There was a reason why I still had it…worked out great for this project and you’ll see why. Gary Quail, not only for lacing up the wheelset but also providing the right patina‘ d condition hoops that I didn’t have. Also, while truing up the front wheel on our ’36 DBR, I felt something wasn’t right. So Quail offered me a like new condition, entire guts of a ND W front hub. So thankful to Mr. Quail and Tyler for being part of this project and the many discussions we have had on this project. Gary @PlasticNerd for the nice condition F3 Morrow hub shell.And since Cochina is riding on very used Carlisle Lightning Dart tires, I got a decent set to use from Chris @slick and John @Livmojoe. Andrew @ADReese for the Torrington pedals, and @badbob for the matching pairs (2) of old coke bottle grips. Thank you fellas.

03 1st day being home.jpg

Before...

22 '36 La Salle done.jpg

...after.

22a '36 La Salle done.jpg

22b '36 La Salle done.jpg

22c '36 La Salle done.jpg

22ca '36 La Salle done.jpg

22cb '36 La Salle done.jpg

22cc '36 La Salle done.jpg

22cd '36 La Salle done.jpg

Script reflector as a place holder, borrowed from one of my other bikes

What fun it was for me to work on this project. It really was. I love the way she (got to give her a name soon) turned out. Maybe because it was a bike my wife could ride along with my favorite rider, or just another plane prewar Schwinn project for me, or the many conversations with friends and members here. I enjoyed the development of getting her back on the road. I would not have completed this project without help of course. And lastly, thank you CABE for allowing me to share this with you all. Eddie and Mrs.

Last edited:
total awesome-ness eddie! finished product looks great-will see it saturday on the s.f. ride!

Really killer job buddy and solid attention to detail. Its a historic artifact you can ride!
Thank you Tyler @mr.cycleplane and Chris @tacochris. Appreciate it. This old bike stuff is still fun for me. Not only for getting this old prewar back to live again, but having the support of friends that were part of the process. That’s what I enjoy the most. So thanks guys.

When I first brought her home last month, this is what I envisioned and my inspiration behind this project. Ready for the S.F. Ride tomorrow.

22d '36 La Salle & Excelsior.jpg

A couple basic non-equipped model year '36 Schwinn bikes

22e '36 La Salle & Excelsior.jpg

22f '36 La Salle & Excelsior.jpg

22g '36 La Salle & Excelsior.jpg

Last edited:
Back