When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another American

-

Centurion

Look Ma, No Hands!
Picked up a 26" 1962 American, looks like it had a restoration about 20 years ago, paint has been freshened up, wheels painted and striped, Kenda tires, and appears they made a red seat out of a black one? (it looks really nice), I need a headlight and rear reflector, the horn works great! It has the 2 speed kickback, never owned one, but it works very nice going up hills, makes kinda a rattly noise in low gear, but works great. A very nice straight tracking bicycle, I can see why these were popular in the day.

The bendix kickbacks red and yellow both growl in first gear and the blue in second. Has to do with the straight cut gears.

Nice looking coppertone, I have a 24" copper american that is very original and rides like new. This red one has been tinkered with a bit, I noticed the stem is off a non schwinn bike, I'll need to track another down, the rims were probably really rusty so that's why they painted them. Nevertheless, I did a once over and checked everything, and took it on it's maiden voyage for 10 miles on the local trail it performed flawlessly. I really like the 2 speed, no muss or fuss with derailleurs, cables, shifters etc. I got pretty good at smoothly engaging the gears when I needed to. The working horn is a nice touch to alert the walkers :)

Did my little 24" bobber style, with the larger seat and upright risers, it is way comfortable to ride. The 24 was a little cumbersome to ride stock, makes for a nice park bike, trip to the neighbors house or the 1.5 mile trail across my house.

APE1.jpg

That is in like new condition, beautiful bike, there is nothing like coppertone in the sunshine. Tim

Back