When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Deal In The Making

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sigh1961

Finally riding a big boys bike
I talked to this guy today, have him talked down to $80 for both bikes if I come pick them up. I know the handlebars aren't correct, but the bikes look to be in fair shape. Going to pick them up next Saturday.
00E0E_41Veofb9leW_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_1nhXN4vJ6nj_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_lo0gc9mlpKk_1200x900.jpg

The seats and rack together are worth $80. I tried to get him to take pictures of the serial numbers, but they are at his parent's farm. I'll just have to wait and see what they are. Looking in the catalog, I think they may be 1970 Collegiates.

If you don't watch out you'll have 100-150 bikes by November .....
I'm sure the wife is going to bring my collecting to a screeching halt very soon. I talked her into the 66 Varsity by telling her it was made the same year she was born. She doesn't know about the Continental yet. And I promised I would sell on all the ladies bikes.

I'm sure the wife is going to bring my collecting to a screeching halt very soon. I talked her into the 66 Varsity by telling her it was made the same year she was born. She doesn't know about the Continental yet. And I promised I would sell on all the ladies bikes.

My wife gave up after the first 25....

The collection here is about 100 right now... Before I lost her, my wife was a little shocked, but not surprised. Right now I have 2 bikes in my living room (74 Speedster and 72 Collegiate). I have about 40+ downstairs in my finished basement. Still sorting through stuff, but someday I'll put up the display rack I got from an LBS out here...

Dont fall into the quantity over quality trap.I would rather have one 73 Paramount than 100 varsity's
This is the kind of Schwinn lightweight mature collectors want. Maybe not this particular bike at this price, but something really collectible.

Call me immature, but I want old Schwinn bicycles. Would I like to have a 73 Paramount? Sure I would. Not gonna happen, tho. If I did stumble across a barn find, I couldn't afford to replace any missing parts. And I can assure you I will never buy one that has already been restored. Same goes for most of the other higher end lightweights. I'm the guy whose parents couldn't afford to buy him a Schwinn bicycle, because I was the youngest of five. I got my older siblings cast off bikes, or had to wheel and deal to get a bike. Couple of months ago, I saw a couple of cool old Schwinns that I could afford, and I bought them. Now I want to learn to how to restore old Schwinn bikes. I figure the best way to do that is buy up those $50 craigslist bikes and clean them up. I'll probably sell them on for what I have in them or even take a loss. There was a young couple that came over last night to buy some furniture I had up on craigslist, and they saw my old Schwinns and wanted to know if any were for sale. I told them to come see me in the spring, and I would have a couple that were done.

Every one of these bikes I pick up and restore is one less Walmart POS that gets sold. It is saving bikes that were made to last and giving them new life and a chance to last another 40 years or so. Maybe by then, they will be worth something. I'm not a collector, at least not in the sense you are talking about. Hopefully, among all the bikes I will find one or two jewels that I can restore and keep for myself. But I'm not keeping a list, or turning up my nose at anything that can be saved from the landfill.

Back