When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another English Bike This Month... A Triumph

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I didn't need it...but I've never had one of these before. Another Facebook find that kept dropping in price until I had to take it home 🤪 .

Picked it up late yesterday afternoon, but took these photos this morning before the rain was really going to be coming down.

Appears to be all original, and the tires say Raleigh Record which I believe could be original also. And check out the Sir Walter Raleigh stamping on the cap on the pedal. I can't make out the year on the hub, only the month of June. I'm assuming around 1971 or so? Please let me know if anyone can figure out the date or knows from the decals, etc.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Another project behind the other four I recently bought. Good thing I was in the process of downsizing the fleet 😛.

IMG_1456.jpeg

IMG_1457.jpeg

IMG_1458.jpeg

IMG_1459.jpeg

IMG_1460.jpeg

IMG_1461.jpeg

IMG_1462.jpeg

IMG_1463.jpeg

IMG_1464.jpeg

IMG_1465.jpeg

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1467.jpeg

Sweet find!

@jimbo53 is the best source on here I know off for Old English bike info , but from what I know based on the few I have had it looks early to mid 70s. The serial number should be on the top of the seat tube. But what do I know I am a mainly a Schwinn guy.... 🤪

Last edited:
"71 sounds right. Your bike has 32 spokes in the front wheel and 40 in the rear, I read somewhere (Sheldon Brown?) that they started using 36 spokes for both in 1972, if memory serves. Although I probably need to check. What kind of rims are those?

"71 sounds right. Your bike has 32 spokes in the front wheel and 40 in the rear, I read somewhere (Sheldon Brown?) that they started using 36 spokes for both in 1972, if memory serves. Although I probably need to check. What kind of rims are those?

I can't seem to find any markings at all for a name on the rims. And I also just noticed that the front hub is void of an oil port (cost effective for Raleigh, er Triumph).

I can't seem to find any markings at all for a name on the rims. And I also just noticed that the front hub is void of an oil port (cost effective for Raleigh, er Triumph).

---

😉

its also zinc finish instead of chrome - more economy

---

note how headplate fastener pattern just happens to line up with that of Sir Wally...

1659016301329.png

-----

The transition to 36/36 took place in late 1972 or early 1973. A late 1960s or early 1970s bike would be 40/32. I guess this one is 40/32 based on the pictures. The clear plastic shifter faces with thin metal lever start 1966-67 (with heavy block letters on the plastic cover), change in to the thinner letters about 1971-72, and then are phased out in 1975-76 (change to black plastic cover with black plastic lever). The more budget Triumph might use leftover parts and certainly had more budget parts than the Raleigh, Rudge, or Humber. Serrated rims were common during this same period in the early 1970s. Deluxe tires in the period were Dunlop and Raleigh were more budget. Your guess of 1971 seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:
I just noticed the extra pictures of the hub shell. At some point in 1971 or early 72 the date position moved on the hub shell to the position on your hub (they previously were parallel to and below the manufacturer mark). Below is an early 1971 hub with the old style date location.

dsc07834-jpg.jpg

The date subsequently moved to where yours is, sideways compared to the manufacturer mark.

The hub shells then gained the 1970s-style lines running around the hub shell.

s-l1600.jpg

So your hub would most likely be a mid or late 1971 hub after the date moved but before the lines were added.

Back