When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another help me ID this bike thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

scale

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello folks

Just picked up my first middle weight this weekend. Its a rider and functional.

Can anyone id this thing?

There are no markings ....and an obvious repaint at some point.
THe bottom of the BB shows a Model number of 3309

The seat likely isnt original...nor the fenders
the rear hub and brake are new departure

Fun to ride regardless....

100_3860.jpg
100_3861.jpg
100_3862.jpg

I think that's a ballooner.. Monark? New Departure factory was destroyed in 1954 and supplies were depleted some time in 1955. 1955 was the year that the middleweight was introduced by most suppliers. I'd say it's an early 50s Monark ballooner.

Thanks

im wondering if it is a sears monark of some kind

I found this thread:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25594

If you scroll down through the pics it shows the same chain ring....and the plate on the bottom is mostly similar in wording although it ends at retail stores. It doesn't say sears roebuck like one in the picture in the above thread.

Then i found this thread:
wrong frame etc but the poster is asking if it is a Monark
The plate on the BB on mine has the same exact wording. Note it doesnt say where or what the store is :)

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=74236

in addition if you look at the one in the thread here it shows very simular or the same kickstand hole plate (large thick solid) behind the bottom bracket.
You cant really see the chainring in the thread here to compare. It might be the same style but it is hard to tell.

yeah...i think it is definately a Monark based on the pictures im seeing of monark serial plates online.

The Serial number is really hard to make out and i cant find my magnifying glass at the moment.

I can tell it starts with A0 but i cant read past the first 2 spots :)

Once i make it out is the balloon forum the best spot to ask for a year?

Monark all the way. Perhaps a rocket? Not sure those came with chrome fenders so they might be after market for that bike.

yeah...the fenders are almost surely replacements that someone put on. They look to be much newer/more modern than the rest of the bike.

Ive got the serial number now

It is A0655056

can anyone help with a year or model?

Im thinking it is rocket myself.

the head badge is long gone but the pin holes where the head badge was riveted is still there. They are on sides of the head tube. THey are not vertical.

Most monark rocket head badges i believe are horizontal...meaning rivet holes at 9 o-clock and 3 o-clock.
Although...maybe other models had that mounting patter as well?

Pretty sure that rules out a rocket then. I believe those had vertical rivets if you google image it.

yeah...that was the one i kept comming back to when i searched.

Not sure what other models had the horizontal badges but im curious now.

Neat old bike.
I need to rebuild the rear coaster brake. You have to almost stand on it to get it to stop. Pretty sure a New Departure model D hub should be a bit better than that. I managed to get it apart tonight. It is a greasy mess right now but it looks complete and nothing is broken. Grease even seems clean ...but old. IM researching that rebuild now.

Back