When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another mystery bike!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JoeBass

Look Ma, No Hands!
Just turned up a cool old bike at a swap meet. Has anybody ever heard of the "Mancunian Cycle Co."? A Google search turns up nothing. It has a newer saddle (made in Japan) and the crank has been welded back together at one time. The original seat post has been cut down, so if I want to ride it, I'm going to need a new seat post. Dunlop rims, Perry coaster brake and made in Manchester.

BIKE1.jpg

BIKE2.jpg

BIKE3.jpg

BIKE4.jpg

BIKE5.jpg

BIKE6.jpg

BIKE7.jpg

I too can't find any further information on the 'Mancunian Cycle Co.'
It bears many similarities to many other US export brands that were produced by "Hercules' and others, purely for sale in the USA.
Looks like the bars have been flipped over by a previous owner.
At a rough guess I would say 1950's in date; but possibly a little earlier/later.
Sorry I can't help more.

Thanks very much for the help, guys! Yes, it looks very similar to a Hercules. Amazing that you found that listing, Adrian! It's was set up in a confusing way. The bars were flipped and the stem is pulled out to max while the seat post was slammed. I was thinking of trying to set it up as a rider, but it's microscopic. The seat tube measures 40 cm. I'm thinking it was a boys bike.
Thanks again for the help!
Joe

Hi @JoeBass

If the Perry coaster is original to the bike (and that seems likely), you can narrow down production date a little.

I think the model is marked on the brake arm, like the 'two star' version from 1956 below:

1663137415645.png

They were making bicycle parts form at least 1902, and brake hubs from at least October 1927 (advert below).

1663138340689.png

Perry and C° transferred the hub business to a subsidury in 1945, Perry Chain C°. They seem to have gone out of business in 1965.

Details (and advertisments) from these links:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @JoeBass

If the Perry coaster is original to the bike (and that seems likely), you can narrow down production date a little.

I think the model is marked on the brake arm, like the 'two star' version from 1956 below:

View attachment 1695596

They were making bicycle parts form at least 1902, and brake hubs from at least October 1927 (advert below).

View attachment 1695597

Perry and C° transferred the hub business to a subsidury in 1945, Perry Chain C°. They seem to have gone out of business in 1965.

Details (and advertisments) from these links:

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks again, Adrian! It does have the "two star" design like in the 1956 ad!

Back