When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another newbie looking for help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Also the angle of the echo tube should be more parallel to the ground, that would help with clearance as well.

thanks for all the help- I think my main problem with any stand, is attaching the rear exhaust bracket in its intended location.
I just realized that the exhaust pipe loosens from its piece that bolts to the motor, which allows me to move the pipe out of the way, but i still will not be able to utilize the rear exhaust mounting point unless i get very creative with a bracket that somehow loops around the stand as it comes back to be clipped on the fender.
or, I move the exhaust above the axle, which would entail getting it bent, or change it altogether to a different bracket in a different location in front of the axle.

i also found the serial number on the frame. I will start searching the Schwinn message boards to find out what they mean.

exhaust hanger.jpg

frame serial numbers.jpg

the serial number means it is either from 1952 or 1957.

View attachment 1841889
//
Well that's a surprise! So the frame has been modified by cutting off the lower top bar. I was affraid of that when I saw no built-in stand and that rear fender bridge. Since there is no tube for a built in stand, I'm going to say that's a 1954 built frame. 1953 ushered in the bolted on stands on some models up thru 1958. Mainly the Hornets and Spitfires. Your serial number was stamped in Dec 1953 and the frame was built in 1954. Also, your rear fender braces are not Schwinn. They should mount up to the small hole in the drop out, not the axle. Is the stand on there now pretty sketchy in supporting the bike?

1684718869428.png

thanks for all the help- I think my main problem with any stand, is attaching the rear exhaust bracket in its intended location.
I just realized that the exhaust pipe loosens from its piece that bolts to the motor, which allows me to move the pipe out of the way, but i still will not be able to utilize the rear exhaust mounting point unless i get very creative with a bracket that somehow loops around the stand as it comes back to be clipped on the fender.
or, I move the exhaust above the axle, which would entail getting it bent, or change it altogether to a different bracket in a different location in front of the axle.

i also found the serial number on the frame. I will start searching the Schwinn message boards to find out what they mean.

View attachment 1841872

View attachment 1841873
The bent legs on your drop stand are for the early looptail Whizzer Pacemaker frames. The original echo tubes didn't have a mounting bracket at the rear. They used a 3 piece clamp/bracket at the seatpost area, attached to the lower motor mounts. As I stated previously the angle of the exhaust pipe should be somewhat parallel to the ground, not pointing down at the rear.

Here are some pics of a local car show that dcmoore2 and I went to on Saturday. The Wizzer and the old truck got a lot of attention and won an award. dcmoore2 restored and painted the old truck and the yellow Ferrari seen in the pics.

900222C4-7DC3-40FB-9CEB-2851715C5FDD.jpeg

6DD13254-8B52-4C43-B532-C8E12D87A7C2.jpeg

FA50679F-79A3-4DC8-9F12-E77B60DECBA0.jpeg

C3A7E9AE-87B9-40FE-9C49-054890CE48A0.jpeg

A7DEECEA-67EE-425D-84DF-CF84C5BAF5C2.jpeg

CE8571F5-710C-4824-88C6-528A1F4BBAAB.jpeg

//
Well that's a surprise! So the frame has been modified by cutting off the lower top bar. I was affraid of that when I saw no built-in stand and that rear fender bridge. Since there is no tube for a built in stand, I'm going to say that's a 1954 built frame. 1953 ushered in the bolted on stands on some models up thru 1958. Mainly the Hornets and Spitfires. Your serial number was stamped in Dec 1953 and the frame was built in 1954. Also, your rear fender braces are not Schwinn. They should mount up to the small hole in the drop out, not the axle. Is the stand on there now pretty sketchy in supporting the bike?

View attachment 1841933
Thanks again for all the details. I am still wondering if this bike came this way from Whizzer or was it entirely custom built at some time after from a random bike and random engine? I see very few of these 24" bikes with no lower top bar. Was it removed because that engine would not fit in that frame any other way? Do the engine numbers give an idea of what year the engine is?

Back