When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another one bites the dust

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
On here it says all parts sold, but there all on eBay now for more money!! LoL

I don't remember the Elgin that my original post was about. But since then, I've parted a few bikes that I thought should sell complete but they didn't.
That black BFG above was a nice bike, but when nobody wants to step up and pay for the complete bike, and the demand for the parts outweighs the demand for the bike, you do what you gotta do. It used to bother me, but now, I just say, it is what it is. The bike was offered complete, there were no takers, it went to parts. Oh well. Looks like the parts sold pretty quick. Obviously there was much more demand for the parts than the bike.

I don't remember the Elgin that my original post was about. But since then, I've parted a few bikes that I thought should sell complete but they didn't.
That black BFG above was a nice bike, but when nobody wants to step up and pay for the complete bike, and the demand for the parts outweighs the demand for the bike, you do what you gotta do. It used to bother me, but now, I just say, it is what it is. The bike was offered complete, there were no takers, it went to parts. Oh well. Looks like the parts sold pretty quick. Obviously there was much more demand for the parts than the bike.
Not saying this was the case with either of the two bikes discussed here in this thread, but I see too many nice original bikes listed at a rather high price, then parted cuz "Oh well! No one stepped up!" :mad:

I don't know much about Schwinns, but that BFG seemed like a decent price at $4200. Probably just a tough time of the year to sell an expensive high-end bike. Too bad the seller couldn't have waited to list it in the Spring. I bet it woulda sold.

Not saying this was the case with either of the two bikes discussed here in this thread, but I see too many nice original bikes listed at a rather high price, then parted cuz "Oh well! No one stepped up!" :mad:

I don't know much about Schwinns, but that BFG seemed like a decent price at $4200. Probably just a tough time of the year to sell an expensive high-end bike. Too bad the seller couldn't have waited to list it in the Spring. I bet it woulda sold.

Yes, he could have waited.

I guess I'm just tired of everyone blaming the sellers for parting nice bikes. It's the buyers who want the parts that are driving the demand. All the sellers are doing is catering to what the buyers want. They want parts, they're gonna get parts. If they don't sell the parts, someone else will.

Yes, he could have waited.

We don't know that. S#hit happens sometimes and maybe it became urgent to sell. Maybe he's like me, and has a garage full of bikes that he's hoping to sell in the spring and needed to make some space. Maybe he just didn't feel like waiting any longer and decided to part it. Whatever the case, it doesn't matter. Everyone on here had a chance to buy it and nobody did.

Case in point, I had a real nice red/maroon panther for sale earlier this year. Couldn't get $1300 for it complete, but have gotten over $1600 (after shipping fees) for the parts so far, and still have a couple parts left. I'm not gonna lower the price till it sells, only to have someone else buy it and part it. I'll just part it myself in instances like this, where I'm unable to get what I feel is a fair price.

I dont mind seeing bikes being parted if they are beyond a certain point but when a nice original gets parted its a terrible shame Every hobby has some leeches that seem to think making a few dollars is what its all about.They are not collectors,they are opportunists.

the seller, parter on the bf is a good guy and a major player. I'm not calling anybody out, if it's your bike you can do whatever you want with it. I just hated to see that one scattered. yea I could have bought it, and I would have to save it if I'd known it was going to be parted. sometimes sellers use that threat to sell a complete bike, on this bike the threat, heads up, would have worked on me.

People buy things to do what they please with them. Why is this so hard for some of you to accept?
Live & let live.

Back