When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Oxalic Acid Bath

-
Picking up an excelsior badged straightbar monday. I’m going to give it an OA bath. Never done one before, but the results you guys are getting are unbelievable.

Picking up an excelsior badged straightbar monday. I’m going to give it an OA bath. Never done one before, but the results you guys are getting are unbelievable.
Would love to see the results. I have a late 30's survivor, still has the barn debris on it. This might be a possibility when it's time to do the bike!

Hey Cabers. I bought this bike from The Golden Greek and received it a couple of weeks ago. It's all original and we thought it was green. Prior to shipping, George removed the old tires and saw light blue paint on the rims and wondered if it had been originally blue. If you look closely at the before picture you will see a small patch of blue paint that looks like a piece of tape or something covered this small spot. Upon further investigation I believe the original owner may have sprayed it with an oil preservative which overtime turned the blue to sage green. George suggested that I give it an Oxalic acid bath, so I completely disassembled the bike, mixed up the solution and submersed it overnight. I rinsed it down and after it dried buffed it was some wax. While the bike was soaking in the acid I completely rebuilt all the mechanicals. I still need to recover the seat, but besides that she's a beautiful blue. I'm going to give it to my youngest granddaughter Katie

View attachment 703576 View attachment 703575
Hard to believe its the same bike!

Back