When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

another phantom !

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Outside of a swap meet setting, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find any postwar canti frame for $40, especially if you plan on using eBay. Hell, you could probably sell that frame instantly if you listed it for $40 plus shipping. Phantoms maybe plentiful and costly, but every collector has at one point wanted one.

This post is starting to remind me of the line from "Cool Hand Luke" "Uh what we have here is a failure to communicate"! First, you are assuming this IS a Phantom frame. How could that be proved? If you think a genuine Phantom frame is worth $250 and then to build one is at least another $1300 to have a pieced together bike for a little over $1500 when I can find a decent original in the $1200 range and if I really shop it can probably pick up something a little crusty for under a grand. It still don't make sense to me but then what do I know? V/r Shawn

Inflated prices on Ebay are just that. I sold this Black Phantom last week for 800.
IMG_2122.JPG
I sold this green one three weeks ago for 850. The green one below was 100 % original, with the exception of a nice set of 1995 Typhoon tires. The black one was original with the exception of bars, saddle , fenders and rear reflector.Both bikes went to fellow Cabers.
006.JPG
The replaced parts were all 1995 Schwinn re-issue, not the after-market crap that is being sold today. Both were 1951 models, and were never rust buckets, or pieced together from frames.If I had advertised them on the Cabe, I would have gotten more.....maybe.
The Black Phantoms are nice bikes, but rare classics they are not. It's a common bike, and unless it belonged to someone special in your life, to restore a bare bones frame is a waste of time and money. I will say this, if the frame has nice original paint and decal, maybe 60. Yours do not. Forty bucks is tops.

Inflated prices on Ebay are just that. I sold this Black Phantom last week for 800.View attachment 681668 I sold this green one three weeks ago for 850. The green one below was 100 % original, with the exception of a nice set of 1995 Typhoon tires. The black one was original with the exception of bars, saddle , fenders and rear reflector.Both bikes went to fellow Cabers.View attachment 681669 The replaced parts were all 1995 Schwinn re-issue, not the after-market crap that is being sold today. Both were 1951 models, and were never rust buckets, or pieced together from frames.If I had advertised them on the Cabe, I would have gotten more.....maybe.
The Black Phantoms are nice bikes, but rare classics they are not. It's a common bike, and unless it belonged to someone special in your life, to restore a bare bones frame is a waste of time and money. I will say this, if the frame has nice original paint and decal, maybe 60. Yours do not. Forty bucks is tops.

The defense rests your honor! I will say someone got some good deals on those bikes Dave--guess I need to live closer to you! V/r Shawn

I don't think $40 is a realistic value, If i ever saw one for 40 I'd pick it up. I don't think I've ever seen one for under $250. But I only joined this hobby recently
seems to be now days the going price on ebay, which people seem to use like the kelly blue book, all I've ever known is I love ridding them that's it, now im older looking back and wanting something special and saw a phantom and wanted one, just this last time, Ha ha...my hobbies from the past were vintage cars and antiques which was a expensive addiction in it's self and now bicycles? you know where this is heading? started bidding on ebay one part at a time, I have learned do not bid on ebay one part at a time what a mistake!!! I used the wrong thinking on the wrong hobby but I lucked out, I won a listing on a bike part and asked the seller about availability of other bike parts the seller was Bob U. a real perfectionist and knowledgeable in restoration of bicycles I know, Bob took my parts added his parts and returned to me a 53 Schwinn Black Phantom, "Wow" what a beautiful bicycle, I remember telling him that this is my last project this is it, well that was over a year ago and im still buying from Bob and still finding phantom frames,

20160307_102456.jpg

Inflated prices on Ebay are just that. I sold this Black Phantom last week for 800.View attachment 681668 I sold this green one three weeks ago for 850. The green one below was 100 % original, with the exception of a nice set of 1995 Typhoon tires. The black one was original with the exception of bars, saddle , fenders and rear reflector.Both bikes went to fellow Cabers.View attachment 681669 The replaced parts were all 1995 Schwinn re-issue, not the after-market crap that is being sold today. Both were 1951 models, and were never rust buckets, or pieced together from frames.If I had advertised them on the Cabe, I would have gotten more.....maybe.
I would have jumped on the green one at that price.

I would have jumped on the green one at that price.
your way of looking at things is logical and at that time I was just getting into it, Bob U. told me one of the most expensive was to piece it together in this way, better to buy it complete then restore it, what you sold would of been a great buy for me, timing is everything, thanks again.....

your way of looking at things is logical and at that time I was just getting into it, Bob U. told me one of the most expensive was to piece it together in this way, better to buy it complete then restore it, what you sold would of been a great buy for me, timing is everything, thanks again.....
Paying too much for questionable parts can be a big turn-off in this hobby. I have bought frames and bikes in the past , only to get that " Why did I buy this thing for?" feeling later. Then, I try to re-sell my mistake and sadly realize I'am going to take it in the shorts trying to get rid of it. All of us have done that.
I paid 1000 for the Black Phantom pictured. Kept it almost 15 years and did absolutely nothing to it , other to keep it clean. I had so much fun riding that bike , I didn't mind selling it for less. The person that bought it had $cash$ in his hand, and picked it up. I paid $250 for the green one two years ago . I happened to have a nice set of fenders for it, I bought many years ago for about 20 bucks. I also had some green chubby grips , new bars, S2's and the typhoon tires, so my investment in the bike wasn't too much. That bike looked pretty sad when I got it, but it cleaned up nice. I have owned 5 phantoms. They are nice bikes, and I got my first one back in 58. I sold it in 1963 for $4. and the kid came back the next day demanding his money back. I think his dad told him he paid twice as much as it was worth, which he did. It was hard to get rid of ballooners back then. Hobbies should be for fun only.

Back