When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Pierce Dating Question

-

alexander55

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am trying to figure out the date of this Angola built Pierce. I am the 3rd owner. The family of the original owner "remembered" the bike from the late 1920s and said it was a "special order". The "special order" piece has some support from the information contained in this online source: https://www.fattiretrading.com/penc...gfMkGDFHwygJqVSJpNF8tUqn1tN-vGTNiI6fPoTl8gYlQ (Owner #2 added the decal so I know it is not original nor helpful in dating.)

The serial number on mine is 332 220. The serial number on the one in the article above appears to be 354 696. He "best guess" dates his to 1935 based on the chain ring code. I have read through the entire thread of Pierce dating information and while immensely educational, can't figure out where this one fits. If his guess of 1935 is accurate for 354 696....I would assume mine is earlier, but....

Assuming the wheels/rims are original (which may be a significant assumption), they were made sometime after January 14, 1926 when a fire sent production of these rims from Onaway, Michigan to Alma, Michigan.

That's what I have uncovered so far. Would appreciate any of your thoughts or leads.

1929 Pierce Special Order (1).jpg

1929 Pierce Special Order (4).jpg

1929 Pierce Special Order (7).jpg

1929 Pierce Special Order (9).jpg

1929 Pierce Special Order (19).jpg

Pierce California 354 696.JPG

How many bikes are there; I read 2 serial numbers and a picture of a 3rd. Perhaps using separate posts (same thread) for the separate bikes might be easier.

Some might speculate that the bicycle might have been built with a license and fee paid to BSA; i.e., the frame perhaps might actually have been built, and S/N stamped, by the company whose emblem is on the head tube?

The bicycles look to have strange English bottom bracket crank hangers.
What country are they from; Angola?

Last edited:
How many bikes are there; I read 2 serial numbers and a picture of a 3rd. Perhaps using separate posts (same thread) for the separate bikes might be easier.

Some might speculate that the bicycle might have been built with a license and fee paid to BSA; i.e., the frame perhaps might actually have been built, and S/N stamped, by the company whose emblem is on the head tube?

The bicycles look to have strange English bottom bracket crank hangers.
What country are they from; Angola?
Angola, New York. Pierce left Buffalo and moved operations there.
Only 2 bikes. All of the pictures are from my bike…except the last…showing the other bikes serial number.
Thanks.

Back