When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another project in the pile - Bob, The CT

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That is awesome. Thank you for the pic!
Not a problem brother. Anytime I can help or give creative ideas I am glad to help. Btw they say that you can be fined like up to $100 for stolen crates if a cop decided to enforce it ; even purchased as they're supposedly never thrown away but I have seen so many modern ones for sodas etc tossed in dumpsters. Supposedly they lose like $200,000 a year or so in stolen crates etc. Jus' useless info but I was surprised to read that when looking up my crate info :tearsofjoy:

I went out digging around in the shop again looking for my stash of CT fenders in a box. I think I might have found them, but need to spend another hour or so pulling stuff out to get to the suspected box of fenders. While I was already somewhat involved, I pulled the "new" front box out and changed the hasp out on it, as well as doing some touch up on the exterior of the box. I may be going back and working on that part some more, but this is where I got to with it today.
Bob's Box:

REC

Last edited:
Back on it... This is now moving along at the pace of a racing snail. Since the last post here, I have looked into the milk crate idea further and have found several of them on Fleabay that I have picked up. Looking under Wood or wooden milk crate, they seem to be available and fairly easy to get, and the pricing was a little easier to deal with than I was told at the onset. I've now bought several that were interesting and appeared to be about the same size as the one from the ad which Bob came from. They come in different sizes, and some are made in different styles, but I was mainly looking for wood with metal reinforced ends. I am still planning on using the "Addressograph" box for Bob, but just in case, I have the crates to fall back on should that become necessary. In fact, I just got another delivery today by FedEx from out in the northwest. This particular one is a "Hires Root Beer" crate that the subject matter was something that either I nor my late father would have been able to pass up due to being Root Beer lovers from way back. I also got one marked as "Bordens" that is the same size as the one from the seller's ad for Bob, and a couple of others that one of which is going to end up on another CT project on hand. Kind of cool when you see them in place.

Anyway. In the last couple of weeks I have put some time in on Bob, mostly to do with repair to the fork, bungs, and fender mounting bolt that broke off in attempting to remove it. They are a test in patience when drilling them out becomes mandatory, but I have now done at least three of them recently. The first was on the last Ross purchased, and then on two of the Schwinn forks since the end of last year. Bob's fork was the most recent Schwinn one, and it also needed to have a little attention focused on the bung ends as they were both a bit of a mess due to not having been tightened up properly at some point in their life and had messed up the ends of shoulders of the bungs. Nothing more than getting a nice flat file and getting them back to flat on the ends. (photos attached) That said, Bob now has a fork that should last at least another 50 to 60 years. The bolt is now replaced with a 5/16-18 one instead of the 1/4-20 one that used to live there. This should work just fine for a long time (especially with a little grease on the threads to keep them from seizing again.)

More to come as the snail continues to move along at breakneck speed!

REC

IMG_3427.JPG

IMG_3428.JPG

I have a hires box at our beach house. I'll take a picture. A Hires box can be taken apart for shipping?

This is the box I made for my old child carrier. Wood burned lettering. My box can be taken out for the picnic.

Here's a box that I made for my CWC. It's select pallet wood & a stainless steel buffet hot plate stand. The legs are upside down at the corners. There is a metal recycler near me & they seem to hold onto stuff until the prices go up, it's a treasure trove for me. Just came upon this thread, cool ideas here.

DSCN2911.JPG

I'm not sure that I dig these boxes over the standard basket on Cycletrucks but to each their own! Probably cheaper/easier than finding and shipping a legit CT basket. It does offer a different look, I'll give you that.

I'd like to play around with a Coke crate on the rack of my Phantom, seems I could haul beer and groceries easier that way...
2020-07-09_0737.png

Back