When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Schwinn World...But A Traveler...Rusty...1952...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just got back from picking this one up. Its been on Facebook Marketplace for almost 6 months after the guy kept lowering the price. I offered $50 and he turned me down, but I said "you keep the incorrect seat and then how about $50" and he said yes.

I'm going to assume early 1950's...possibly 1952... according to the hub and cool head badge. BUT...the rim on the rear wheel appears to be from a Raleigh. I don't think Schwinn used this type ever, did they?
Grips are newer, but brakes (not pads) and levers look original, even down to the cables.

Front, rusty rim has a bend in it like I've seen before. Looks like someone tried to fix a flat with a pair of pliers!
But, I like the fact that at least the AS seat bolt is still there. Usually they're swapped out for something from Home Depot.

Overall...questionable condition. I'm still happy to have it, especially if 1952 does turn out to be the year (I can't find a serial number) because then we share a birth year!

Tons of "as found" pics, as usual. :tonguewink:

View attachment 1339368

View attachment 1339369

View attachment 1339370

View attachment 1339371

View attachment 1339372

View attachment 1339373

View attachment 1339374

View attachment 1339375

View attachment 1339376

View attachment 1339377

View attachment 1339378

View attachment 1339379

View attachment 1339380
Beautiful bike! Love the Schwinn/Raleigh lightweight bikes. It seems Schwinn was lukewarm to its commitment to this postwar platform, instead concentrating on their marquee models; B6, Hornet, Panther and Phantom instead. They missed the adult recreation/commuter customer, concentrating on the youth market with its automobile-centric marketing of the day with chrome, fancy colors and accessories.
The bike culture of postwar Britain and the US were totally different; in Britain a bike was a transportation necessity, in the US it was something for kids and teens to ride for fun, and the market followed the consumer.
These New Worlds are a little appreciated aspect of American biking history and I appreciate Harpo’s and others dedication to preserve and study these bikes. Well done and I appreciate all the input to this post-a real history education!

@jimbo Since the bike and I share a birth date (give a day or so), this is one that will remain with me. Who out there ever gets a chance for something like this to ever happen. :)
Seems like the bike waited all those months for me to be the one to come and claim it.

The pliers fix proves that not all stupid people are living today. Nice old rider that has just found by a skilled daddy. It is safe from damaging tools and it will roll again.

why can't I find a bike like that for cheap? :(

I bet that would have sold for 2 bills here in the SF Bay Area.... either that or no vintage bikes sell at all here, because they are all grossly overpriced by what I see here on the CABE.

why can't I find a bike like that for cheap? :(

I bet that would have sold for 2 bills here in the SF Bay Area.... either that or no vintage bikes sell at all here, because they are all grossly overpriced by what I see here on the CABE.

Around here on Long Island, the bikes either go quickly or languish for months (like this one did).

I missed out on a couple of Phantoms a few months back, within a week or two of each other. One on ebay (I was sniped at the last few seconds and the bike was a pickup-only)...the other on Facebook that was listed wrong and sat for a week until I saw it. Got hold of the guy, but someone was on their way to get it.

I'm now so stuffed with projects my head is spinning!! Yet...I love the thrill of the hunt! So iI'm sure I'll be looking again today for a good deal. :tonguewink:

If you decide to test the front brakes with that rim, please video it for us!

The rim hit, yet passed through, the fork when I rolled it to my car. I didn't think it would even make it through!

And I wonder how many teeth were lost when some actually tried to use the front brake, lol!!!

Began the cleaning today! I think the grease around every part of the bike is original it's so thick. Thankfully the rear hub was easy to remove it from as I figured it would be.

And I guess my frame was made about 5 months earlier before it was assembled...hub date is 12 52.

The rim is a Schwinn Tubular S-5 for sure. I had no idea that this far back rims were used that appeared to look like the Raleigh's. Learned something new!!

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

There is no way the rim was used that far back and was replaced at some point. Never seen an early 50s/mid 50s all original lightweight with one on there. S-5 started late 50s (generally '59).

Back