When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Sears Bites the Dust

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
To bad, As a 16 year old child I worked the floor at the local Sears Hardware store. It was a fun job at the time, and I was able to use my employee discount to buy many of the hand and pneumatic tools I still use today.

If the other salesmen in these stores were like me, they were not knowledgeable employees, and just making minimum wage.

One day I remember one older guy was trying to fix his toilet, and asked me if he had the right parts. I responded "I don't know, I'm not a toilet mechanic". I wasn't even trying to be a smasta$$, It just accidentally came off that way. The guy told me off, swore at me and complained to my manager. You can't hire kids, pay them minimum wage and expect them to be experts in hardware they have no experience with. Just about all my co-workers were also high school aged kids.

That store also recently closed, It had a good 30 year run. I did learn a lot there about repairing things that came to be helpful later in life.

People always abused the return policy. At the time it was "No Questions asked", There were guys who would come in every week with loads of tools to return, and walk out with several new tools at a time. The dumpsters in the rear of the store would have to be locked, or people would pick through them and return the tossed tools. There were people who made a living just finding trashed tools and returning them. I think guys would find old tools, break them on purpose, and return them for new ones to sell.

With the growing number of people who lack ethics, stores will have a hard time staying in business with return policy's like Sears had. It just can not be done anymore. It started out as a good idea, and ended up as one I'm sure they regret.

Then later on after college, I went to work at there national headquarters, that was a great job. I spent a lot of time with that company, and even once knew Bob Villa, as I was one of the guys who would provide him computer support when he came into the office.

Last edited:
My only real memories of Sears were getting my pictures taken there from birth till say 2004- 2005. Then I started elementary school. Oh, and going through a 1905 sears catalog with grandpa. Lol

I didn't think this store (York, PA) would last the new year. Sadly I was correct. It's closing was announced today.
Morton, I have memories of going to the Mailman's, Hills Department store, and the Best store as a kid in York, Pennsylvania. I remember my dad discussing a buying a tv with Mr. Mailman. I still occasionally go to the K-Mart in Hummelstown/Hershey and it is like entering the land of the zombie apocalypse (if it lasts two more years I would be shocked). It is wild to think that Sears once sold over 25% of the bicycles per annum in the US. I wonder how much of the US bicycle marketshare Walmart has today? Thank you for your post, it brought back me many memories for me.

Morton, I have memories of going to the Mailman's, Hills Department store, and the Best store as a kid in York, Pennsylvania. I remember my dad discussing a buying a tv with Mr. Mailman. I still occasionally go to the K-Mart in Hummelstown/Hershey and it is like entering the land of the zombie apocalypse (if it lasts two more years I would be shocked). It is wild to think that Sears once sold over 25% of the bicycles per annum in the US. I wonder how much of the US bicycle marketshare Walmart has today? Thank you for your post, it brought back me many memories for me.

Hey Brant, I used to work at Mailmans, another fallen flag! The Bon Ton took over the store many years ago, and just last week they announced they are going out of business this summer. The York KMart closed last summer too. Penny's about 3 years ago and Montgomery Wards, Grants, and Hills are long gone. Come to think of it, the only place in York County I can buy a pair of jeans other than chinamart (ugh) is Boscovs or Tractor Supply. Bummer!

Back