When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another serial # dilemma

-

Commish1969

Look Ma, No Hands!
So I have what seems to be a late B6 model based on the tank decals. Last year before it became the streamliner, or so I thought. Serial #J98333 comes up as May 1953. Hence my dilemma...1. That date would make it a streamliner but it’s not labeled as such. Tank was changed out? Maybe so...but after much inspection it sure matches paint and patina wise to the rest of the bike. And 2. I thought schwinn moved the serial # to the rear drop out in 1952. So then why do I have a 1953 serial number under the bottom bracket? This stuff keeps me up at night...if anyone can educate me so I can finally get some sleep I’d be eternally grateful!

4AECB947-2DF5-4651-BE90-4DEC3E4CFF03.jpeg

105DED8B-36EC-4188-949B-CA9BB756DE1D.jpeg

As soon as I saw the radical downward drop on the seat stays I knew... good thing you don’t need to find a rear fender for that... haha

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Somewhat of a coincidence that you did...or maybe not. I was just looking at the “schwinn serial number reference” thread and reading your post from 6 years ago describing the 1946 characteristics. What an amazing compilation of information. Thanks for sharing it! I’m pleasantly surprised with the new revelation!

Also, seems to have the prewar 40 41 style sprocket... so yeah definitely 46

I've been studying these early post and pre war Schwinn's while you were gone and I've collect a bunch of questions for you. Schwinn made a schit load of bikes in 1945 and I've been wondering where the he!! they are all at. I'm really thinking these pre war and War Time serial numbered post war bikes are actually 1945 built pieces. Schwinn damn near made 100,000 bikes in 45 so how come 0 have shown up? Any deep thoughts on this? I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth and since this is a J serial I'm going to say this is a 1945 model, not a 46. :tonguewink:

I've been studying these early post and pre war Schwinn's while you were gone and I've collect a bunch of questions for you. Schwinn made a schit load of bikes in 1945 and I've been wondering where the he!! they are all at. I'm really thinking these pre war and War Time serial numbered post war bikes are actually 1945 built pieces. Schwinn damn near made 100,000 bikes in 45 so how come 0 have shown up? Any deep thoughts on this? I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth and since this is a J serial I'm going to say this is a 1945 model, not a 46. :tonguewink:
True, 1946 models were probably made in late 45 . Would make sense anyways but until August and probably after that, the bikes were still all probably the war time models, not much chrome , no tanks, no fancy sht.. plain Jane.. but I’m just assuming..

Back