When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Spaceliner

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

newgirl

Look Ma, No Hands!
Last fall I got this old bike for $40 at a velo swap. I didn't know a lot about old bikes - still don't, but I know more now than I did then. I think this Spaceliner is from 1964. I spent all winter scraping rust off it. It has new rims and tires - the old ones were really shot. Also a new chain, as the old one was really rusty. It didn't have the original handlebars as you can see in the photo and the new ones are not true to type but I like them. I took apart the crank and regreased everything and it rides really well. Except for the seat - that thing is murder. I really like it but it is no fun to ride on, so I think I'll get a new cushy one, hopefully also in red leather. I have kept the old rims and tires and will keep the seat in case someone else wants to restore it to period accuracy later on. I'm actually considering taking the Bendix brake off the old rear wheel and seeing if I can restore it but that's a little outside my skills right now.

Anyway - several things. Can someone tell me what size battery the rear case takes? I think it might work if I clean it up a little inside. Also it has no reflectors on it at all right now, it didn't have any when I got it. So I'm looking for the teardrop reflector for the rear fender. Does anyone know where I might find such a thing?

Thanks and it's nice to meet all of you. There's another velo swap coming up in a few weeks so I'll probably be getting another rusty old bike pretty soon. :)

OK I think I get it now.

Attachments

• oldbike4.jpg
    oldbike4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 131
  • spaceliner.jpg
    spaceliner.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 127
Nice pick--and the bike appreciates your dedication to giving it a second life! If you've regreased other parts, I'd say you're ready to crack into the coaster brake. Bendix are a good introduction hub since they are among the most basic while still being effective. Just take note (or a picture) of how the parts go together when you pull it apart and put them back in the same order and you'll be good. Or there are many exploded diagrams of Bendix hubs to assist.

Either way, make it yours and enjoy! Oh, and neither of mine have the rear light but just about every old bicycle light/horn used D batteries so that'd be my guess.

newgirl....ahhh a Spaceliner. The ape hangers give it a personal touch.
The rear tailight battery tray should may take "AA" batteries. because the tray is confining I don't think they take "D" batteries. Not having a Spaceliner with a rear tailight, I can't swear to it. Take a picture of the tray innerds and we can let you know for sure. Then there is the rear tailight lens needed to be acquired. These are hard to find. But, there are repops that show up occassoinaly.

Here is a picture for reference.

attachment.php

My AstroFlite (a close cousin to the Spaceliner) takes "AA" batteries but, the canister is smaller.

I may have a rear fender with the teardrop reflector (the plastic teardrop chrome is gone though, I think), I can look if you desire.

Once you secure the tanklight on the bike then he will really pop.

I too, spent months scraping the rust impregnated clearcoat off my AstroFlite. But, the end result was amazing.

Welcome to the Tanklight club, by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. :) It still has some rust on it, especially in the little crevices that are hard to reach. But I got tired of scraping and I just wanted to ride it. It's still somewhat of a work in progress.

Here's a picture of the battery case. Now that I really look at it I think it might take Ds. It looks like there is a single fixture for a light, but all the pictures I've seen have two lights. Maybe they're just lenses and there's a single lightbulb that shines through them? What size lightbulb fits in there? Like a nightlight bulb or something?

Thanks so much for the offer of a rear reflector, jd56. I would love to have it. I wish I had something to trade you for it. I can kick you some money though. Your bike is beautiful. :) I don't have a tanklight for mine, it didn't have one when I got it. Maybe someday one will turn up.

Also - seriously the seat is killing my butt. It's too bad because I like it, it's a Mesinger but it has zero padding left. Did it originally come with a Mesinger saddle? I looked online for a red leather cruiser style bike seat and I found nothing. Does anyone have a link to a good site for finding retro bike parts? I'll save the old seat so it can still go on the bike for when (if) I pass it along someday, but I really want something I can ride on without pain.

Attachments

• battery case.jpg
    battery case.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 90
  • battery case 2.jpg
    battery case 2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 86
Here is a picture of the rear lens for a Spaceliner (I believe).

attachment.php

attachment.php

And yes, it takes a flashlight style screw in bulb. I usually go to Radio Shack to get the replacement bulbs.
You tray looks in good shape. Provided the switch is functional.

These lenses are hard to find as is the tanks in good shape.

I'll look around in my shop for the fender and see if I still have it.

Seats for these bikes were designed for young kids that can take the beating. Replacement seats are just that....for comfort. Find a nice cushioned seat and replace it with the original one when you let go of the bike.

Oh and the bike I posted is not mine, wish it was....it's a great example of the mens Spaceliner.

Stopped at a local bike shop this morning and saw this Sunlite red seat that looks good and may work on yours. Wide seat pan and lots of cushion.

About $35 but, Ive seen the larger shops charge over $50 for the same seat. Sometime there is an"C-9" logo imprinted on the seat which I dont care for.
This one does not have that logo.

udaqyde3-1.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back