When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique seat restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

oddball

Finally riding a big boys bike
In the process of restoring a few of my hammack style seats and needed to make the tension bolt,well just finished ,heres an example(new on right)
If anyone is in need of a tension bolt let me know.
IMG_2249.jpg
IMG_2250.jpg
Tension bolts.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done. Is the head of the screw hardened or plain? My inclination is to do some sort of hardening on the slot area of the head. The screws can get pretty tight as the hammock of leather tightens (assuming you have a full duty, new piece of saddle leather). It can be easy to mar the slot trying to get the correct tightness.

Nice job! What grade of steel did you use? Did you turn the screw manually or did you use CNC? I have a small manual lathe in my garage that I want to start using for similar projects.
Thanks,
Chris

Nice work!...and thanks for the offer. We need more talented folks like you.

Thanks much for the compliments.The material I used was hot rolled round stock,and turned it on a 1942 12" Craftsman metal lathe. The threads of the original was a bastard size (British) so made standard and chased the female.Never thought to harden the slot end being it screws in so nice and easy but maybe would be a good idea.
Cliff

Back