When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Tricycle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tim

On Training Wheels
image.jpg (267.8 KB)
image.jpg (265.9 KB)
image.jpg (275.9 KB)
Could someone let me know if this tricycle is a fake, or an antique? It is 25" tall, and 29" long with what appears to be a leather seat. The wheels are wood with steel strapping covering them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 296
Antique tricycle

We looked on that website, and that is what made us suspicious. Have you seen this particular bike as a fake?

The fakes come out of China and India, and they look many different ways, but yours meets some of the qualifications: square featureless pedals, curved seat suspension, steel rimmed wood wheels, and I notice some welding on the trike. There probably shouldn't be any welds on a real one. My first impression is that it's a modern product. My opinion. Will I guarantee that? No. Am I the last word? Course not. Do you like it? If so, then enjoy it, fake or no.

My advice - perform a google image search using terms like: boneshaker, 1890s, 1880s, 1870s, children's tricycle. Try: strap tricycle, Singer, Gendron, etc. It'll give you a better idea of what authentic victorian childrens trikes look like.

The fakes come out of China and India, and they look many different ways, but yours meets some of the qualifications: square featureless pedals, curved seat suspension, steel rimmed wood wheels, and I notice some welding on the trike. There probably shouldn't be any welds on a real one. My first impression is that it's a modern product. My opinion. Will I guarantee that? No. Am I the last word? Course not. Do you like it? If so, then enjoy it, fake or no.

My advice - perform a google image search using terms like: boneshaker, 1890s, 1880s, 1870s, children's tricycle. Try: strap tricycle, Singer, Gendron, etc. It'll give you a better idea of what authentic victorian childrens trikes look like.

Thanks. Appreciate the input.

I have seen a lot of these trikes and it as amazing that the leather seats and wood hand grips are all in perfect condition for being so "old".

Last edited:
"Iron work" sleds, baby buggies, tricycles, small high wheels, etc., have been crudely reproduced in recent years.....:(

Great decorator items though! and they might be made by the same companies. Of little value to collectors........No hand forging done here!

Yes, these more recent facsimiles of antique tricycles are made to be more decorative than anything else. I doubt they would hold up to much actual riding by an average child. I've seen them for sale in antique/gift stores over the last couple decades. Ditto with the vast majority of the wood horse tricycles you see listed.

Dave

Back