When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Advice, "Clanking" noise while riding

-

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Okay guys, the Elgin has developed an odd "clanking" noise when riding lately. I can't seem to pinpoint it. If you have any clues, here are the specifics.

Sounds like metal hitting the frame, like a hammer or something.
It is irregular. So while pedaling, or coasting it happens.
Not the seat springs, no fender rubs, nothing stuck in the wheels or tires.
No loose fender nuts.
It started at the end of a 3 mile ride with no warning

I thought it was the hub so I disassembled the whole thing. It looked fine. Now it clanks only when I'm riding the bike. With it sitting on the drop stand I can pedal it all day and it's smooth and sweet.

Thoughts:
A bad frame break somewhere yet to be found
My skip tooth chain is stretched a little, but I'm not having any chain jump or slippage under load...could it be this?

IMG_4469-1.jpg

My opinion lies in the dropstand clicking inside of the hanger. Metal on metal when you hit a bump. You can try bending the clip inward so that the stand sits tighter in there. If that doesn't work, you can try putting a little something in there to cushion it (electrical tape, chunk of tire tube?) or accept it.

Good luck! Hopefully it's as simple as that.

Chain stretch is a good thought, too, since it's only under a load. If it's stretched badly enough, you'll definitely feel it in the pedals when riding. You'll feel the links roll onto the teeth instead of just slotting on. If you don't really feel anything, you can remove the chain and put a tape measure on one of the pins. You should be able to follow down the links with the pins lining up on each inch mark. If, by the end of the chain, it's within 1/8" or so, you're well within the limits. If it's out 1/4", you'll probably start feeling it. Any more, and you might want to find a replacement chain.

two things i would check

It could be the hub driver inside the rear hub clicking back and forth as the hub engages, or it could be the brake arm, with a too loose brake are clamp. On the stand would probably wouldn't hear some of these as there is not pressure on the rear wheel, it acts differently with 150+ lbs on top of it.
is it in the front of rear?
Kickstand? Maybe the crank hits the kickstands sometimes?
Maybe the headset is loose or the bearing is sheared and the top nut is tightened too much?
Maybe the hub nuts is loose?
How about the pedal shafts?
Or it could be a kink in the chain.

Last edited:
two things i would check

It could be the hub driver inside the rear hub clicking back and forth as the hub engages, or it could be the brake arm, with a too loose brake are clamp. On the stand would probably wouldn't hear some of these as there is not pressure on the rear wheel, it acts differently with 150+ lbs on top of it.
Maybe the kickstand sometimes gets hit by the crank?
Pedal shafts? check the BB and the neck bearings?
Maybe a kink in the chain?

Thanks guys.

Definitely not the drop stand in the clip. I had that prob 1st and remedied it a few weeks ago.

Not feeling anything in the pedals, and again, just coasting it clanks every so often. I had the chain off and will check the stretch, however it is very free and 95% of the rollers work great.

I thought if the brake arm and will check that in the am along with the tightness of the axle nuts. The dropouts are stretched a little, do maybe everything is slipping in there?

Why would the hub sound fine with just pedaling, then clank with my 175# on the bike?

Neck bearings? Really? Didn't think of that.

The sound seems to be becoming from below and to the rear.

Process of elimination

Not the chain, since it also does it while coasting.
Not the kick stand, you already took care of that.
Not the frame, I think that would be really obvious.

Only does it when your weight is on the bike intermittently with or without a load.

**Could be over-tightened hub cones that are putting too much force on the ball bearings, especially if those are the original ball bearings, i.e., not perfectly smooth. If things are too tight and you have a ball bearing / cone with a flat spot, then it will catch every now and then especially if is too tight.

Always:
step1 snug tighten the cones onto the ball bearings
step2 back out the cone a 1/4 turn before locking it in place.

**You may also want to check your rear spokes, if the wheel was laced too tight you will get popping sounds coming out of the back.

My .02c's

Last edited:
Update:

I had the bike upside-down and started to pedal it. The noise still occurred and seemed to really be coming from the hub. No parts were hitting anything as the wheel spun, but the clanking still occurred.

I loosened the pre-load more and more, stopping and checking at interval, until the rear wheel was pretty wobbly and at my limit for "safe." It still did the clanking.

I have the hub entirely apart now and soaking in gasoline. Today I will clean it up, look for odd wear or bad bearings, and re-grease.

Straighbar, how could it be the knuter valve? It's flush or very slightly recessed looking inside my now exposed hub shell.

Back