When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Bendix 2 Speed Yellowband Experts?

-

Moseph

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've got a Bendix 2 speed yellowband kickback and ran into an issue today while riding home. I went to take off from a stop and the gears slipped, it would just freewheel both forward and backwards, I had no drive or brakes. I kept messing with it for a while and was able to get high gear to engage so I guess it isn't completely busted but still no low gear or brakes. I know a little bit about these bikes but don't have any clue when it comes to these hubs, any idea on what may have broken? I've had this hub on my bike since 2018 and had it re-greased last September, but I've gone a little over 2000 miles in the last year. I did notice a couple of months ago that the brakes would stick sometimes if I applied them and then proceeded to try and roll the bike but didn't think much about it. I guess that was a sign that something was going wrong?

I had one do this once: the low speed drive screw had parts missing that broke off. Also could be that it needs to be completely disassembled, cleaned, re lubed (packed) and set within tolerance.

Sounds like the grease is old, has turned into a hard waxy blob and the clutches are stuck

set within tolerance.
@drglinski I think I have something that amounts to a tolerance issue with my Bendix Red Band 2-Speed Automatic. Can you point me towards the location of the tolerance specifications? I have several sources for the internals of the hub, but no measurements. I think the "Stack Height" (for lack of any better term) of the disc set is short because of wear. The adjustment of the hub bearings is ether is too tight and the brake works, or just right and the brake is very weak. I can toss in some shim washers, but I'm hoping to not have to guess.

Lacking specs, do you (or anyone) know?
  1. how many discs should be present
  2. thickness of the inner brass and steel discs
  3. the thickness of the "thick" steel disc(s)
Many thanks

My apologies, but I don't know that in depth of specifics with those hubs. Ive always rebuilt those from a feel standpoint- a good rule if thumb is when the wheel is in the bike it should have about 1/8" of lateral play where the spoke meets the nipple, as well as if you freewheel the wheel and let it spin when it stops it should reverse about a 1/4-1/2 turn.

@drglinski I think I have something that amounts to a tolerance issue with my Bendix Red Band 2-Speed Automatic. Can you point me towards the location of the tolerance specifications? I have several sources for the internals of the hub, but no measurements. I think the "Stack Height" (for lack of any better term) of the disc set is short because of wear. The adjustment of the hub bearings is ether is too tight and the brake works, or just right and the brake is very weak. I can toss in some shim washers, but I'm hoping to not have to guess.

Lacking specs, do you (or anyone) know?
  1. how many discs should be present
  2. thickness of the inner brass and steel discs
  3. the thickness of the "thick" steel disc(s)
Many thanks
I do not know the specifics of the hub maybe @Gordon might know the thickness of discs. With the ND hubs it is not the thickness of each disc it is a total of 3/4 of an inch. You should start and end with a steel disc.

Back