When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Campagnolo Aficionado's can date this crankset (1950's?)? I've seen early ones with the pedal threading stamped below but never with both.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

donmac70

Look Ma, No Hands!
Any Campagnolo Aficionado's can date this crankset (1950's?)? I've seen early ones with the pedal threading stamped below but never with both.

239A9C62-9D1A-4DE7-8B9E-BAAC0EE3ACF5_1_201_a.jpeg

Yep,
The first two types, starting in the late 1950’s, had a step where the pedal hole is.
The first generation had a decorative dust cap over the backside of the pedal hole, and a pronounced step on the front side.
The second generation did away with the dust cap on the back, but still retained the step.
The third generation did away with the step all together.
So, this one may be a third generation Crankset?
1962 at the earliest.

"F" is French thread. All the Schwinn Paramount's used British Threads.

It's my belief that the thread is still 20 per inch, but has a slightly different thread pitch. I know Campy full tool kits came in British, French, or Italian threads (you specified which you wanted).

John

In Italian, “F” would be “filettatura”. =“threading”. Those arms are British threaded. French would be 14mm x 1.25mm.

The crankarm end you illustrate would fill the gap in the attached picture, left to right: 1st generation Record 151bcd with raised pedal hole (rear dust cap is missing on this example); 2nd generation Record 151bcd with fatter arm and raised pedal hole; 3rd generation Record 151bcd (your example); 1st generation Record 144bcd (initially referred to as "Special Record") without 'Campagnolo' stamping and with sizing below the pedal hole.

Campy pedal ends.jpg

Last edited:
One other thing to note, on those first two generation cranksets, 1958-1962 is that the Spindle also had a unique feature.
There was a flange just behind the bearing race, that acted as a backing plate for the bearing grease.
Probably also thought to help keep contaminates out as well.
I always thought it was a good design, but Campy apparently didn’t agree, so it was eliminated on the third generation cranksets.
5429064F-2B87-43F2-99E7-572D11289C79.jpeg

E8A1EEF1-B02F-4336-9EFA-7AD5566B1115.jpeg

Last edited:
One other thing to note, on those first two generation cranksets, 1958-1962 is that the Spindle also had a unique feature.
There was a flange just behind the bearing race, that acted as a backing plate for the bearing grease.
Probably also thought to help keep contaminates out as well.
I always thought it was a good design, but Campy apparently didn’t agree, so it was eliminated on the third generation cranksets.
View attachment 1781708

View attachment 1781709

flange originated with the cottered spindles...

main.php?g2_view=core.jpg

page from catalogue Nr. 14 of 1960

-----

In Italian, “F” would be “filettatura”. =“threading”. Those arms are British threaded. French would be 14mm x 1.25mm.

The crankarm end you illustrate would fill the gap in the attached picture, left to right: 1st generation Record 151bcd with raised pedal hole (rear dust cap is missing on this example); 2nd generation Record 151bcd with fatter arm and raised pedal hole; 3rd generation Record 151bcd (your example); 1st generation Record 144bcd (initially referred to as "Special Record") without 'Campagnolo' stamping and with sizing below the pedal hole.

View attachment 1781617
Thank you ccdc.1 but what I am really curious about the Campagnolo stamping above the threaded pedal hole and the thread stamping below???

Back