When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any help would be appreciated

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi @Danz,

welcome to the Cabe, good to see another person from the UK on here, there aren't many of us!
Some interesting and informative posts have been made above.

It can be very hard to identify British bikes from this period as there were still so many manufacturers, and even more marques.
As @ccmerz said above it looks like a Sunbeam, and it certainly does, bit I don't have the expertise to be 100% certain.
It's definitely very similar to a ladies bike from the period that I have, that I believe to be a Sunbeam also.

Regarding the rear hub, try an internet search for ' K series S-A hubs'; it should lead you to a pdf by the world expert on S-A hubs Tony Hadland. This could help with dating your machine.
The frame number is the one on your seat lug.
The number under the bottom bracket is the casting number for that lug.

I would thoroughly recommend joining the VC-C in the UK (The Veteran Cycle-Club) if you are into older bikes.
Not only for the amazing magazines and literature available, but also the wealth of knowledge, the invaluable online library, friendly people and regular rides that they organise all over the UK (when lockdown restrictions are lifted of course).
There are several London groups within the club and they are pretty active on the riding front.
Don't worry about the strange looks you've been getting, you will get used to them, eventually!
Bloke, strange looks are free, not so COOL OLD English bikes anyway, be proud to own one. I have several from the 60's into the early 70's, mostly Hercules, Phillip's, a Rare Drake and maybe a Raleigh two for a good measure. RideOn Mates. Razin.

Hello all, thanks for your replies, i forgot to say that i ride the bike anytime i go to my lockup, it picks up speed very quickly, i get some strange looks when i ride it to the shops;), i fired off a couple of emails tonight so i might get a bit more info, here is a pic of an old 1955 Raleigh i have too. I ride this one also.

View attachment 1303113

View attachment 1303114

View attachment 1303115

View attachment 1303116
What are you in LOCK UP for? Welcome to the CABE old mate. RideOn. Razin.

Hello all, thanks for your replies, i forgot to say that i ride the bike anytime i go to my lockup, it picks up speed very quickly, i get some strange looks when i ride it to the shops;), i fired off a couple of emails tonight so i might get a bit more info, here is a pic of an old 1955 Raleigh i have too. I ride this one also.

View attachment 1303113
Not really related to your initial question but I'm curious as to how that seat tube mounter generator works and are they proprietary to Raleigh Bikes? I saw one for the first time on a Youtube video last week.

Not really related to your initial question but I'm curious as to how that seat tube mounter generator works and are they proprietary to Raleigh Bikes? I saw one for the first time on a Youtube video last week.
The thing mounted on the seat tube is a dry cell battery tube which is used in conjunction with the Sturmey-archer dynohub.
It's basically a rechargeable battery that enables your lights to stay on while you are stationary; as opposed to them going out when you're not moving as normally happens with a dynamo lighting system.

Back