When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Murray information helpful

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
M

make-it-roll

I just bought a 1962 or 1963 Murray Sonic Flite in fair condition from a trade fair for 30 dollars. I have been working on the chrome for about a week, and it is looking ok. My plans are to take pictures of all the painting and decals, sand it down and repaint it, as the paint is in poor shape. I also would like to replace the the bars and fenders with reproductions. My question is, should I be doing this to this bike; it is compete, and after scrubbing and polishing, it appears to be in good condition. Also, if it is ok to sand this thing, is the painted leaded?

Thanks for all your help, this site is great!

My advise would be to clean the chrome with fine steel wool and auto paste wax. Use automotive degreaser on hubs and sprockets and then the same paste wax. Clean and polish the painted parts as best as you can. Grease all bearings and install a new set of tubes and tires, ride and enjoy. You can never replace that original paint and graphics. Dont know if the original paint contains lead, If you do strip the frame and repaint, use single edge razor blades, sand paper and a flat file. I have been sanding on old bikes for 50+ years and havent been lead poisoned yet!

The front fender looks like it was scrubbed with a scotchbright pad, and the chrome is dull, but basically rust free. Is there a way to conceal the scratches and bring back some of the shine?

Another method of chrome cleaning that I read about over on bikeforums.net is oxalyic acid (sold in hardware stores as Wood Bleach for decks). Basically it sounds like let it sit in the bath for a day or so and the rust will just slough off with a little brushing. For scrubbing and no chance of leaving scratches. Only effects the rust and does not damage the chrome.

I have not tried this method yet, but I did buy a container of it and will be testing it on some junk parts as a test. From what I saw, in the pictures that people posted, it looks very promising.

Back